CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Simon47

-
Arms
Esteemed
Will the NICEIC be bothered if I reported it & asked them to come & inspect?
Doubt it - anecdotally they don't seem to be bothered unless it's so obviously dangerous that they can't find a reason to ignore it. Can you argue that segregation has been lost between your ELV cabling and their mains.

... they have strung their cables from the rafters, using offcuts of T&E with a screw through it for cable supports.
Plastic coated metal hangers then :)

Doubt it - anecdotally they don't seem to be bothered unless it's so obviously dangerous that they can't find a reason to ignore it. Can you argue that segregation has been lost between your ELV cabling and their mains.

Plastic coated metal hangers then :)
seen the old off cuts cable hangers loads of times usually just nailed to the joist...
it’s not a bad way to bunch cables and to hold them up in place.
i have even done it myself when I was out of all round band.
:)

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I was instantly inclined to the same view as Julie...however, paper like that, if properly hung, could designate the prescribed zones...you'd just have to get the stripes in the right places...

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
Came back to a house refurb. Ariel man couldn’t be arsed to drill his own holes.
It it was my house, I'd have stuck the aerial cable through that same hole to be honest. Obviously I wouldn't have run it alongside the T&E for any distance. There, I've admitted it! :)

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
I think the problem lies with aerial man pulling his cables in and friction burning through the T&E.
Send 230v down his co-ax when hes connecting the telly up... blame it on his install method

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
Ah, never saw the 2nd picture. Jeez, how much force did he put on that? The coax will be twice as long now!

It’s fairly easy to burn pvc cable if you pull another cable against it Too hard...
I wouldnt be happy with the burned Cable...but unfortunately It’s fairly typical to see This sort of thing

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
It’s fairly easy to burn pvc cable if you pull another cable against it Too hard...
I wouldnt be happy with the burned Cable...but unfortunately It’s fairly typical to see This sort of thing
Anyone who treats coax cable like that would not be fitting an aerial for me. I hate to think what his terminations are like.

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Had to cut it either side of the joist, MF Wagobox it and put a new piece in. Pulled his cable right out the length aswell, can’t have been that hard to blast some more 10mm holes through the joists for his cable

SparkySy

-
Arms
Esteemed
Can you pop round I have a problem, thought my Plumber could sort it out but he couldn't so advised ring an electrician! :eek:
IMG_20200622_1308022.jpg
Mmm that's gone bang more than once then!!

SparkySy

-
Arms
Esteemed
I was using the term loosely :)
It was a faulty pump apparently, that he tried to fix 3 times before giving up and getting a new one! Bet he had some Brown trousers after that!!

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
There’s future proofing and there’s FUTURE proofing.....CE0166CC-7CEC-46AC-A165-FEE1AABCDDC9.jpeg
Not dodgy I know but I’m sure the spark wasn’t really considering smart switches!

Less dodgy, more just stupidity courtesy of one of our “multi-skilled” technicians. Bear in mind the multi-skilled guy has an electrician to guide them on their shift and they supposedly checked all this together!

Yesterday a cooling fan wasn’t working, they went to it and reported back at shift change when we started that the contactor needed replacing because it wasn’t coming in. We asked if they checked the voltage at the coil “yeah, 230” was the answer.

I suspect not somehow, but at least we know why it isn’t coming in...

36152B2A-3831-4778-9262-3D7840B47620.jpeg

The machine wasn’t needed until this afternoon so we left it for them to wire up the coil this morning, and hopefully learn something in the process.

They wired the coil into a nearby transformer in the machine. We got called back just after shift change for cooling fan not working and “smell of burning”. That’ll be 230 through the 110 coil then.

A8CBFB28-D1C9-4C4D-98D4-8CD81298089C.jpeg

In fairness the almost identical machine next to it was wired the same way, just went into a 230v coil.

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Reminds me of the time I got called out because the new contactor coils weren't lasting long on a roof fan. I couldn't get the on-site maintenance bloke to understand that 240V coils don't work well when fed with 415V. 'But there's a neutral there!' he kept saying. That blue wire was of course L3.... Amazingly all 3? he tried lasted over a work day under those conditions.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Back when I was a rookie, I was given a 230/400v motor to fit on a machine.
It lasted almost 2 weeks before it gave up.
I had wired it in delta because my total lack of understanding led me to believe that star was only for starting a motor.

Boss was not happy but I learned a valuable lesson!

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Got called out because customer couldn't reset RCD after attempting to put up shelving.
hole1.jpg
6 months earlier I was called to the same fault at the same house.
hole2.jpg

Oh got the call, my Mcb keeps blowing. Went to his house. Asked have you made any alterations to your house lately, like pictures on the wall, or things screwed to the wall. He informed me a electrician changed the sockets in his extention. I have no idea how he left without noticing. Lol
Post automatically merged:

They forgot the grommet too!
And single sleeved the earth's lol

Last edited:

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Oh got the call, my Mcb keeps blowing. Went to his house. Asked have you made any alterations to your house lately, like pictures on the wall, or things screwed to the wall. He informed me a electrician changed the sockets in his extention. I have no idea how he left without noticing. Lol
For electrician read embarrassed homeowner in trouble with his mrs! 😂

Boooom! Found this Friday.
Give credit where credit is due, they've done their best to not to mix 'old' and 'new' colours in the same terminal ;)

Got called out because customer couldn't reset RCD after attempting to put up shelving.

6 months earlier I was called to the same fault at the same house.
Would love to see a follow up photo once shelving is done....could be a work of art...

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Mine was an old cooker hood I took down. Supply had been taken diagonally from a socket above worktop.
Whoever put the old hood up managed to drill through the cpc of a t&e... the rawl plug acted as an isolator between the L and N which hadn’t been cut.
Hood worked, just never been earthed.
1949A1DA-C9A9-47E9-A474-2798DDD4D4F9.jpeg

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Mine was an old cooker hood I took down. Supply had been taken diagonally from a socket above worktop.
Whoever put the old hood up managed to drill through the cpc of a t&e... the rawl plug acted as an isolator between the L and N which hadn’t been cut.
View attachment 59343
classic. i had one the other week, rawlplug and screw through L courtesy of kevin. screw was live, so he stuck some tape over the screw head and told customer it;s safe now. FFS.

It’s amazing the amount of times someone manages to put a screw / nail through a buried cable breaking the cpc and only just scraping the live and neutral Cores...
Failing to trip the mcb & leaving the cable live but without an earth beyond the hole.
perhaps buried cables should be of screened type so the cpc is fully around the inner cores..

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
View attachment 59343
I thought I’d uploaded this pic before.....

From this....

Source URL: Someone was a lucky so and so - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/someone-was-a-lucky-so-and-so.174087/

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It’s amazing the amount of times someone manages to put a screw / nail through a buried cable breaking the cpc and only just scraping the live and neutral Cores...
True. The above one is the same. But, in this case, with such a small pin shorting L and N....and the earth having no insulation, it tends to take the majority of the blast.
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg

It was a right job double heat shrinking with the lack of length available.
Sand and cement wall :mad:

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Called to a job bathroom lights not working....no probs where’s the consumer unit?

321C4CB3-088C-48E2-B311-50A2B0974047.jpegE8E7D0E8-8416-480D-9EA7-1893A4758DEB.jpegA9317B56-72F9-4FF2-95C6-B9114AA527CE.jpeg
handy man had put up a coat rail for the woman, now with the amount of coats on it it was heavy as well! 😂

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
had one the other week. kevin fitted a wall cupboard in kitchen, drilled int socket cable directly above socket.bange in a rawlplug and screw. ....

"screw is live , love. i've stuck some tape over it so it's safe"

FFS. took me 2 hours to remove cupboard, cut and joint cable, refit cupboard.

"now it's safe" sez me. "£90 + £10 materials. knock that off kevin's bill".

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Chasing a bloody IR of 0.08 all day. Eventually found this, boiler had nicked the neutral when fitted aswell. Sorted it out and then had a reading of 0.14 🙉 found a RCD spur shortly after. Now 999MOhms all good. Had to do a joint in the old yellow insulation in shorts, looked like I’d been swimming when I came out

Attachments

SJD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I think there's been a few of these posted, one from this morning's EICR:

IMG_20200722_091032.jpg

Plumbing on this recent second floor flat is all in plastic, but it would have been a shame not to connect the bonding cable to something ...

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Went to fit bathroom downlights this morning... plumbers there doing the wet stuff.

“joiners been and put up the new ceiling”....

one of those easy clean plastic board things. I have a quick look.

“so where’s the cables?”

“in the attic? The joiner poked them up”

Right..... so they’ve been without lights in their bathroom all weekend..

BD0E8E97-0001-4B7E-ACA7-E35F717A8F97.jpeg

I’ve pulled them up into the attic. They were jammed between ceiling and plastic

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
20A DP switch. FCU was elsewhere but he still managed to blow the fuse in it. The 3036 at the board didnt pop tho

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
@pc1966 Reversed polarity he said (I'm not on site). Room was occupied by a disgruntled former employee so we're not sure if theres been some meddling!

@Taylortwocities well it is north Scotland and he only had his summer sporran on :tearsofjoy:

SparkySy

-
Arms
Esteemed
Today's quick job put 2 sockets onto a new plasterboard wall in a house that someone else started and didn't come back. First socket no power before fitting, mmm what's occurring here then? Luckily not skimmed out as the board had to come off, and oh dear! That's not how you use wagos!!
IMG_20200727_0954517.jpg

IMG_20200727_0957274.jpg
Sooo that neutral never made it into the wago and someone obviously wasn't an electrician as they had no earth sleeve, bit closer together under the tape and there would have been a horrible n-e fault to find as well!!

Reply to Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Electrical Forum 26
J Electrical Forum 7
G Electrical Forum 16
JK-Electrical Electrical Forum 61
AlmondSauce Electrical Forum 15
Top Bottom