Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

that and the hundreds of times I've written my name and the date behind patresses, DBs, under floors... Does anyone else do that BTW? I often note the weather as well.
I've written the date under floors before (why I don't know!), but bizarrely never come across such scribblings. Perhaps it's only me & you freddo, that do it o_O

@Harwoodandy - Not sure what you are viewing the picture on regarding freddo's post but most of your questions are answered in the PIC, I can understand missing the flylead on the SWA on a phone sized screen but asking if the N are Ferruled when its more than obvious they are has confused me a little as did a few other questions you asked did o_O

Thanks for the input....
My question was to the OP - when viewing on my phone screen its rather difficult to tell, if it was more than obvious I wouldn't have asked would I. Perhaps you are easily confused? Perhaps I should just ask you in future?

@Harwoodandy - Not sure what you are viewing the picture on regarding freddo's post but most of your questions are answered in the PIC, I can understand missing the flylead on the SWA on a phone sized screen but asking if the N are Ferruled when its more than obvious they are has confused me a little as did a few other questions you asked did o_O

Thanks for the input....
My question was to the OP - when viewing on my phone screen its rather difficult to tell, if it was more than obvious I wouldn't have asked would I. Perhaps you are easily confused? Perhaps I should just ask you in future?
Our prices are quite a bit higher than most of the local electrical companies, partly because there is a number of us as well as office staff, but I hope we offer value for money. It is sometimes difficult to compete with the huge number of local one-man-bands, some of which seem to get away with poor and non-compliant work, but we have enough work to keep us busy.

I have no intention of letting standards slip, or giving in to laziness, its f***ing hard and a slog sometimes, but I keep pushing myself to make sure every box is ticked. I'm an ugly scruffy git in real life, my car is old and needs a wash, and my hair is long and untidy and I'm certainly not perfect when it comes to electrical work. I still have to refer to the regs books and guides now and then and I've made my share of mistakes! But I still aim to work in a professional way and for my installations and repairs to be workman like. It's a great feeling having clients calling in for work, and asking for me to attend, as well as going back to an installation from 7,8, whatever years ago and being proud to say 'I installed that'. I live alone, I don't have any kids, when I die all I'll leave behind is the electrical installations I've installed over the years, that and the hundreds of times I've written my name and the date behind patresses, DBs, under floors... Does anyone else do that BTW? I often note the weather as well.

It is written on the conductor attached to the banjo. The CPC is wrapped in G/Y tape as I ran out of sleeving large enough to fit. :(

There is a gland and the banjo is on the outside of the enclosure, connected with brass nut and bolt, outside so all brass in contact, better than a possibly rusty steel locknut in contact with the banjo.

It's not in the neutral bar it is in the neutral terminal on the RCBO. It is hidden behind the line conductors.

Yes, the neutral flyleads from the RCBOs are in ferrules. I have used them as I shortened them to save space in the enclosure, which of course involves cutting off the manufacturers ferrule. Fine and very fine stranded conductors must be fitted with a ferrule unless the terminal is specifically designed to accept such a conductor, the flyleads are very fine stranded so ferrules must be used.

The neutral flyleads from the RCBOs are all the same size, the circuits neutral is connected to the RCBO it's 1.0mm, no joints in the consumer unit.

It's 40A (CGD don't do a 45A for some reason) for an instantaneous undersink water heater.

Thanks for the comments!

No worries

That makes sense - I agree with you on the ferrules, easy to have stray strands - hadn't realise they were RCBO's, viewing on a small screen, thanks for the reply

Andy

Thanks for the input....
I wasn't trying to get your back up here and maybe you read my post the wrong way but I would appreciate you don't reply with an attitude as regardless whether it be to staff or any other members we frown on such responses, it helps no-one and usually drags the thread downhill, I asked because I was genuinely confused, and no, I'm not easily confused, been on this forum for over 7yrs and and an 11,000+ post count so I tend to have got the jist of how and why people post and respond, I even viewed it on my phone before I posted and it was very clear hence why I queried it. TBH I was rather expecting you to say you left your glasses somewhere or you were looking at a different pic by mistake as the thred is full of them.. that's why I commented to check you were seeing the same pic really.
You have answered what I asked and thats is all I was enquiring about, thankyou. :)

I wasn't trying to get your back up here and maybe you read my post the wrong way but I would appreciate you don't reply with an attitude as regardless whether it be to staff or any other members we frown on such responses, it helps no-one and usually drags the thread downhill, I asked because I was genuinely confused, and no, I'm not easily confused, been on this forum for over 7yrs and and an 11,000+ post count so I tend to have got the jist of how and why people post and respond, I even viewed it on my phone before I posted and it was very clear hence why I queried it. TBH I was rather expecting you to say you left your glasses somewhere or you were looking at a different pic by mistake as the thred is full of them.. that's why I commented to check you were seeing the same pic really.
You have answered what I asked and thats is all I was enquiring about, thankyou. :)

You started it :p:p:p

About time I made a contribution here, and this little gem from yesterday was asking for it. What's going on is:
* short T&E spurring off a socket on the inside
* connecting to a flex cable (there is actually a screwed connector under that tape, I was surprised not to find it just twist-&-taped) in the outside terminal
*from there clipped to the wall close to the ground without any protection
* and yes that's right, the flex is 2 core, NO EARTH, going to an outside socket!
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20161017_114848[1] - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20161017_114831[1] - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20161017_114914[1] - EletriciansForums.net

I'll probably get shot down as viewing on phone but.....

That looks like PVC covered Micc to me?, it has the shrouds over the glands? The black sleeving looks like the old BICC stuff 1 & 1.5mm and that looks like the seal just poking out from the box entry in the 3rd pic?
The box in pic 1 is tagged to earth so continuity would be through copper cable sheath if it was pyro.
Having said that there is no conductor to earth pin on socket so presumably relying on cover screws for earth, an earth tail seal would have done the job nicely.

Andy

Not sure if I have put this one up before, but clocked it on an Eicr last year. Nothing like using a product to it's full potential.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0515.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Here is another classic, from an eicr, I also picked up the contract for all their work after I pointed out the problem of letting the plumber do the wiring and the electrician do the plumbing :eek:

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0594.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0595.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

That looks like PVC covered Micc to me?, it has the shrouds over the glands? The black sleeving looks like the old BICC stuff 1 & 1.5mm and that looks like the seal just poking out from the box entry in the 3rd pic?
The box in pic 1 is tagged to earth so continuity would be through copper cable sheath if it was pyro.
Having said that there is no conductor to earth pin on socket so presumably relying on cover screws for earth, an earth tail seal would have done the job nicely.

Andy

I'd completely agree with you here; MICC.

The OP of this bit of thread could do with some further education on cable types.

Andy
Guess it's hard to tell from the picture, will work on keeping those hands steady, but that's definitely not micc, just a flex like you'd find on an appliance. I tested before taking that old crap off, sure enough no earth regardless of where I stuck the probe around that outside socket, and the IR... Thought for a moment that my tester wasn't working, tested for IR again using the continuity setting on my tester and got 1076 ohms between L and N. The IR for L-E and N-E was 134 mega ohms (if I remember right, something around there), so wasn't hard to guess where the bad L-N IR was from!

I'm guessing whoever did that old thing had seen it done properly with micc and thought dressing up with glands and shrouds just made it look pretty? Anyway not a big job to put a new socket (the right way up!) in place with conduit back to the inside socket. Not a perfect IR afterwards, 120 something mega ohms, but that's connected to the rest of the old circuit so I'll take it.

P.S. GMES that junction box is hilarious! :D

I totally don't have time to post this as I'm in the middle of fixing a breakdown but I just came on here for a quick break way from the job and post #708 & 715 fried my brain. How can that not be MI? Granted the few inches under the socket are a bit pale and flexy-looking but, er, stub slv over flex cores c/w PVC tag on one of them? Anyone advanced enough in the trade to have stub in their back pocket and to teach flex to stay straight as a die between P-clips, will know that a socket-outlet needs a CPC.

Pics of the flex and stuffing glands (I can see the hex under the shroud) or it didn't happen.

And 'IR' of 1076Ω is an appliance or a charred wreck. 230²/1076=50W, the heat of two average soldering irons. Nothing there got that hot, PVC cable would have been on fire and burnt through.

Great post Lucien!

Can you see what's wrong guy lol,
some kitchen fitter had fix his sockets to the floor for some strange reason for his appliences. Then fitted his kitchen over the top of of them all before realising that he'd wired his sockets arse first. So instead of redoing his sockets he decided to swap line and neutral in the db.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 20150131_090619 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock