Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It all coming out. The rest of the farms in just as much of a mess, we have only just done a condition report.Idealey hell have the supply upgrade to 3 phase the we will go from there, but he's not to keen as electric board cost are rather substantial.
Would appreciate any surgestion if I can't get him to upgrade.

quote Tony Barnes "It all coming out. The rest of the farms in just as much of a mess, we have only just done a condition report.Idealey hell have the supply upgrade to 3 phase the we will go from there, but he's not to keen as electric board cost are rather substantial.
Would appreciate any surgestion if I can't get him to upgrade."

Looks like a split phase supply from an overhead line voltage between the 2 phases will probably be 480v.
Check voltage between the "phases" to confirm .
L1 to N+L2 to N = L1 to L2 its split phase and will be 480v (some 3 phase boards are only rated for 400- 415v)
Split phase is fed from a centre tapped transformer and conversion by the DNO will be cost prohibitive unless you get a few customers together.

Yes its split single phase and comes over on line TT system. To be honest I can't see him going for the upgrade so we may have to work with what we have got. Good point regarding the rating of the 3 phase boards.
Cheers

I believe MEM used to make a split phase board but not now, we could not find any DB with a rating higher than 415V last year, in the end we used MEM Exel Switches/ switch fuses which are rated 550V for the 480V bits, feeding single phase boards.

Found this when replacing a storage heater. This is what happens when you connect a 3.4KW heater to a 13A SFCU.
It had been cooking away for years, it only stopped working when the line conductor in the flex burnt off of the terminal.

20161030_183427.jpg

echo nsf.jpg

echo nsr.jpg

Sorry for the extra un-edited photo, could not attach or delete images properly, won't let me delete them in edit mode either.

Found this when replacing a storage heater. This is what happens when you connect a 3.4KW heater to a 13A SFCU.
It had been cooking away for years, it only stopped working when the line conductor in the flex burnt off of the terminal.

Presumably it could have been fitted with a 20A DP switch instead?

Found during a T+I yesterday, extensions into a new 3ph DB. There is so much wrong in this photo, but most of the terminals are 2.5mm size, the conductors in the bottom are 4mm, some terminals have 2 conductors jammed in, heatshrink has been used to cover crimps but has been held in place with tape, there is 16mm in one end of the crimp and 10mm in the other, the blue conductors are tri-rated singles and are not fitted with ferrules,there is no top to the DB and so on.

echo extension hell.jpg

This is the first this DB has been inspected, it was fitted last year There are other problems in the DB itself with poor supply cable terminations, unsupported cables, undersized main earth conductor, grossly incorrect circuit labels, no RCD protection on any circuits, missing blanks, neutral and earth conductors incorrectly numbered... Yes we will be correcting the problems. The installation has a 2000A supply and around 90 DBs. We've started testing/inspecting a part of the installation, testing and repairs will continue in stages to the other parts over the next 4 years.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock