Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

after getting several sub 1 ohm L-e readings around the circuit, finally ame to end of line and got 0.07 ohms. so i says to Simon " fault is approx 2m away. when we cut into the board and pulled the cable out, it was 1. 8m from the end.

Nice to see the thoeries work eh!

I wander if they have special gloves they wear when fitting halogen 'bulbs'....
there's a 5 week course on how to put the gloves on the correct hands. only £5500 + VAT.

Took a little beating with a hammer and chisel to reveal this when I saw the two T+E cables disappearing into the wall via a mortar joint :)

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20171031_114014583 - EletriciansForums.net

That 0.75mm flex feeds the extractor hood. The earth that disappears into the wall I think provides an earth for an outside light. The two T+E leaving the bottom of the cooker switch supply the oven :eek:

And now for a close up of that classy back box wiring.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20171031_114023854 - EletriciansForums.net

Quality job... thank fully I'm rewiring the kitchen.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20171031_114032726 - EletriciansForums.net

That cable on the right runs round to the other side of the room where it feeds a double socket that supplies the washing machine and dishwasher, then up to a double socket above the counter, through the wall into the lounge and three more double sockets.

Oh and did I mention the secondary supply cable that drops down the wall and joins in the fun via a buried ceramic terminal block (but at least they wrapped it in tape)? :mad:

'kin unbelievable.

Took a little beating with a hammer and chisel to reveal this when I saw the two T+E cables disappearing into the wall via a mortar joint :)

View attachment 39042

That 0.75mm flex feeds the extractor hood. The earth that disappears into the wall I think provides an earth for an outside light. The two T+E leaving the bottom of the cooker switch supply the oven :eek:

And now for a close up of that classy back box wiring.

View attachment 39043

Quality job... thank fully I'm rewiring the kitchen.

View attachment 39044

That cable on the right runs round to the other side of the room where it feeds a double socket that supplies the washing machine and dishwasher, then up to a double socket above the counter, through the wall into the lounge and three more double sockets.

Oh and did I mention the secondary supply cable that drops down the wall and joins in the fun via a buried ceramic terminal block (but at least they wrapped it in tape)? :mad:

'kin unbelievable.
You see these things and surprised how something more serious hasn't happened.

Just out of curiosity does that single cable feeding the dishwasher/washing machine/etc show any signs of deterioration? Bet it's spot on!!

The total supply current to that abomination was 45A, courtesy of 30A via the 6mm cooker feed and 15A via the 2.5mm on the other side. One of the jobs I did there previously when I rewired the lighting circuit and nearly killed myself was replace a socket outlet which had a component fall off inside and sit itself across the line/earth. I suspect both cables were providing the supply until that accessory failure. After that, possibly just the cooker cable.

And to answer your question @sparksburnout , no... no signs of thermal damage, but I haven't touched it yet, could be a bit crispy and I haven't opened the back box yet either, but the socket outlet shows no signs of thermal damage.

Absolutely.

A couple of weeks ago I did a light change. Tested Zs and found it was bad, so went investigating. Fuse holder for circuit in question wasn't clamping the busbar properly, 50A breaker was just pressing against the busbar (the spigot wasn't in the cage clamp), cables for a 30A socket circuit weren't clamped properly.

And last night went to a nuisance RCD only to find one of the 32A MCBs it was supplying was just pressed against the busbar.

People must just chuck this stuff in and not give it a second thought. I honestly don't know how they can sleep at night.

This point was raised in one of the reference books I've got, it was published in the late 1930's so don't hold your breath for anything actually happening in our lifetimes!
It’s already a legal requirement per the last Scottish Housing Act for tenanted properties. 5 yearly, PAT testing and mains fire alarms. Progress is being made :)

It was the fire alarm engineer. He was so horrified that the board was low enough for children to get too so wrote it on when he was trying to find the emergancy lights marked ‘EL’ in the photo. He told the owners so fair play to him.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock