Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it's being boxed in, and that's your reasoning for not needing to provide strain relief, then presumably it will be inaccessible and therefore should be MF?
But if it is accessible then it surely needs better strain relief than nail clips into plasterboard?

She has carried out a repair which is miles better than how it started. Marked up and tested the system.

Let's not get overly picky cause there is minus a few p clips and firmer fixings!!

She has carried out a repair which is miles better than how it started. Marked up and tested the system.

Let's not get overly picky cause there is minus a few p clips and firmer fixings!!

There's people on this thread complaining about a few bits of insulation left in a loft next to a joint box, yet I am being overly picky for pointing out things which do not comply with the regulations?

Really Dave.
Do you seriously think a missing strain relief would end up in court.
Or are we just being pedantic.
Either way, theres enough photographic evidence to show its been left in a safe state.

On a lighter note,
its sunny and bbq time.

Last edited:
There's people on this thread complaining about a few bits of insulation left in a loft next to a joint box, yet I am being overly picky for pointing out things which do not comply with the regulations?

Yes that would be me, but no point in quoting things out of context Dave, that wasn't a complaint but more of an observation, a little example of a lack of being thorough which I tend to see quite often,nothing more. Do you leave discarded insulation in loft spaces , maybe you do because nothing in BS7671 forbids it ? I'm just saying that there's a lot more to being a really good electrician than merely complying with the regs, and the way you interact with people and treat them can go a long way.

Yes that would be me, but no point in quoting things out of context Dave, that wasn't a complaint but more of an observation, a little example of a lack of being thorough which I tend to see quite often,nothing more. Do you leave discarded insulation in loft spaces , maybe you do because nothing in BS7671 forbids it ? I'm just saying that there's a lot more to being a really good electrician than merely complying with the regs, and the way you interact with people and treat them can go a long way.

I've accidentally left all sorts of things in lofts and similar voids, but no I don't intentionally leave rubbish laying around.

Yes there is more to the job than complying with regulations, but there certainly is not less than complying with the regulations.

Really Dave.
Do you seriously think a missing strain relief would end up in court.
Or are we just being pedantic.
Either way, theres enough photographic evidence to show its been left in a safe state.

On a lighter note,
its sunny and bbq time.

I didn't say that a missing strain relief would end up in court, though I have witnessed an incident where inadequate strain relief led to a potentially lethal situation when the socket came off of a 125A TP extension lead.

I believe what I said was that i'd like to see how well the attitude of 'I left it in a safer state than when I arrived' would stand up in court if that 'safer state' was not compliant with current regulations.

I don't think it would, when you say to the judge 'I left it safer than when I found it but not safe enough to prevent the accident your honour' I don't think it'll go very well.

Ever heard of the phrase 'a dog with a bone ' ?

and why would you say "
'I left it safer than when I found it but not safe enough to prevent the accident your honour
Anyone would half a brain would say.
i found it in a dangerous state and made it much safer, here are some pictures to support my statement.
im guessing you have never been in an english court.
A judge would look very favourable if you can demonstrate you made things infinatly safer than you found it. ie connected the earths.

and why would you say "
Anyone would half a brain would say.
i found it in a dangerous state and made it much safer, here are some pictures to support my statement.
im guessing you have never been in an english court.
A judge would look very favourable if you can demonstrate you made things infinatly safer than you found it. ie connected the earths.

And if an accident has occurred as a result of you not having complied with the regulations then I seriously hope that the judge would not look favourably on you. If you've gone 95% of the way towards complying then why not go a little further and fully comply?

if i had the time, or the inclination, id look for a few tests cases in law which would set precidence and support either of our points.

But just thinking allowed, most standard junction boxes rely on the cables held in place with cable clips....they certainly dont have cable clamps within them...

if i had the time, or the inclination, id look for a few tests cases in law which would set precidence and support either of our points.

But just thinking allowed, most standard junction boxes rely on the cables held in place with cable clips....they certainly dont have cable clamps within them...

While I'm having nowt to do with the current 'discussion' a standard JB is designed for fixed cables, not flex.

So in this situation I'm in a customer property, customer isn't there and I can't go anywhere to get spares etc.

What would you have me do to fully comply? How would you get over the issue of there being no cable clamps?

So in this situation I'm in a customer property, customer isn't there and I can't go anywhere to get spares etc.

What would you have me do to fully comply? How would you get over the issue of there being no cable clamps?
If this is a reply to my above post I was making a point on Paul228's comment about standard JB's. As far as I'm concerned the lack of cable clamps on your box is a very minor issue, there are hundreds of heating connection boxes like that everywhere working without problems. I wasn't having a go at you.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock