Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If this is a reply to my above post I was making a point on Paul228's comment about standard JB's. As far as I'm concerned the lack of cable clamps on your box is a very minor issue, there are hundreds of heating connection boxes like that everywhere working without problems. I wasn't having a go at you.

It wasn't directed at you, sorry.

Really it's a question for Dave, I'd just like to know how I'm supposed to fix it, when I'm not in a position to leave site and I don't have a bag of Honeywell cables clamps and screws in my possession.

As you say, there are hundreds of these boxes out there. Many without cable clamps and many in places subject to more mechanical disturbance (in airing cupboards for example).

Honestly as frustrating and even infuriating as certain attitudes can come across on here I'd say don't let it bother you SC , you improved the job from both a safety and workman [woman?:D] ship perspective and who is going to pull on those flexes and attempt to rip them out of their terminals ? Different as you say in an airing cupboard where all sorts of bits and pieces can be chucked in there or 'stored' as some might say. :) 99% of us cheerfully accept we're not perfect and the other 1% are sadly deluded. :rolleyes:

Workmanship is fine with me.

I'm not a subscriber to the current feminist ideas which seem to be focused around equality of outcome, not equality of opportunity. Hiring quotas and all that garbage. They want equality... they should work hard for the top jobs like men have to!

Plus they aren't good for work place banter, all the PC claptrap is killing the best jokes :D

So you weren't HIGHLY offended by this then @SparkyChick !
Good to know you are made of more sterner stuff.

No, I just checked my username in case by some strange coincidence it had been changed to SparkyChap and figured the offender might benefit from a trip to SpecSavers :)

Workmanship is fine with me.

I'm not a subscriber to the current feminist ideas which seem to be focused around equality of outcome, not equality of opportunity. Hiring quotas and all that garbage. They want equality... they should work hard for the top jobs like men have to!

Plus they aren't good for work place banter, all the PC claptrap is killing the best jokes :D
Trouble is SparkyChick I'm old school can't get to grips with equality
You don't spend the first 22 years of your professional working life surrounded by men in a male dominated industry without developing a thick skin, a foul mouth and a taste for real ale.... or at least I didn't :)
Careful there Sparky you will be giving your age away next:D

From a periodic in a property with dreadful wiring.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! upload_2017-6-19_19-38-43 - EletriciansForums.net
It was so much worse once the covers were removed.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! upload_2017-6-19_19-39-50 - EletriciansForums.net
It doesn't look like it in the photo as I could poke the lens into the void, but the switch fuse that feeds the above 2 fuse boards it completely inaccessible. You can't get your hand in to reach it, as a stud wall has been built in front of it.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! upload_2017-6-19_19-43-26 - EletriciansForums.net
This join had several different colours of paint on it, so I assume it's been like it for a while... That cable spurring off of the ring final at this socket feeds 3 doubles.
Parts of the lighting circuit are also directly connected to the ring. I hope to go back to rewire as there are several things I couldn't quite find, such as the purpose of the red conductor that was connected to the neutral bar. Took me long enough to work out what was connected to what circuit, made more difficult by the light switches that were seized in the off position and various remote DP switches that sent power down a cable but no one knew what for.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! upload_2017-6-19_19-52-37 - EletriciansForums.net
Spider that appeared in the van. :eek: I would have let him stay if he was there tidying the place.

So in this situation I'm in a customer property, customer isn't there and I can't go anywhere to get spares etc.

What would you have me do to fully comply? How would you get over the issue of there being no cable clamps?

I don't know what you carry in your van so don't know what you have available to work with.
Personally I have a bunch of parts which I could use or adapt to serve the purpose.
P clips or patent band can be used to make strain reliefs in the same style as the missing ones, just flatten the p clip and use it like a saddle so it has two points of fixing and doesn't spin.
Cable ties can also be used, either screwing tie bases to the wall and strapping the cables to them, or drill two holes in the back of the box to pass the cable tie through and strap the cables to it.

But to be honest I would have removed the box and fitted a J701.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock