Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I don't know what you carry in your van so don't know what you have available to work with.
Personally I have a bunch of parts which I could use or adapt to serve the purpose.
P clips or patent band can be used to make strain reliefs in the same style as the missing ones, just flatten the p clip and use it like a saddle so it has two points of fixing and doesn't spin.
Cable ties can also be used, either screwing tie bases to the wall and strapping the cables to them, or drill two holes in the back of the box to pass the cable tie through and strap the cables to it.

But to be honest I would have removed the box and fitted a J701.

That is great advice, thanks Dave. Some more items for my spares box (aside from the spare wiring centre I picked up this morning) :)

Currently sweating to death in a hot attic... Any good advice for that situation :D

A
No a rented house
That is great advice, thanks Dave. Some more items for my spares box (aside from the spare wiring centre I picked up this morning) :)

Currently sweating to death in a hot attic... Any good advice for that situation :D

That one's easy SC, get an apprentice or mate. They go really well in attics :D
We used to have a 6" clip on fan as well.

Yes reschedule the job for when the weather cools down, that's what I did yesterday, hovering around 30c here at the moment. :)

Just doing any sort of work well away from lofts is hard going in these temperatures.:)

Your not wrong there buddy, glad the air con works in the truck or I'd have melted today.
You come home & have a shower, get out of the shower & you feel just as sticky as when you went in :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It was awful up there, made worse by my respirator. Seems they've had the place re-roofed and the itchy poo is laced with slate dust and shards. Had to wait until the plumbers had finished for the day before I could get in the bathroom to cut access holes for the downlights for when they re-board the ceiling.

Sweaty and sticky being showered in black dust from the loft as I cut the holes... GRIM! Must have looked a right mucky sod walking round Asda's :rolleyes:

The worst thing is I have to go back tomorrow, finish off a couple of bits and test it. Just couldn't take any more today. 2.5l of fluids throughout the day and I still feel parched.

And before anybody asks, none of the new stuff is connected (it's isolated by disconnection from the Wago's which link the new stuff to the end of the lighting circuit).

Apparently it's going to be hotter tomorrow :(

We're just not used to these temperatures, I think you deserve a medal for braving a loftspace today SC , had to do this before in probably cooler conditions than now and as soon as you get up there it hits you, a wall of dry heat, I think I'm too old for that torture now. :)

My best advice for that is to do what I have done and get the hell out of domestics!
I now work 3 or 4 days a week doing electrical work in generally clean, air conditioned environments and still earn more than I did doing 6 days a week of domestic crap.

My best advice for that is to do what I have done and get the hell out of domestics!
I now work 3 or 4 days a week doing electrical work in generally clean, air conditioned environments and still earn more than I did doing 6 days a week of domestic crap.
And he gets to wear costumes whilst he works - today He was a pirate spark tomorrow a Viking Aargh!
Oh the theatre life! (Unless I'm wrong and you now work in a foundry!)

Looks like an AC multifunction wire :)

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! upload_2017-6-27_22-24-31 - EletriciansForums.net
I guess the shroud is to try and hide the awful mess! You can't see from the photo, but the line conductor has a section cut out of it where the installer must have slipped with the knife, there is a 4mm bit of bare copper right near the unprotected metal hole. At least the cable is fused, though the 100A BS88 fuses will mean a bit of a bang if the copper touches the enclosure...

View attachment 37017
I guess the shroud is to try and hide the awful mess! You can't see from the photo, but the line conductor has a section cut out of it where the installer must have slipped with the knife, there is a 4mm bit of bare copper right near the unprotected metal hole. At least the cable is fused, though the 100A BS88 fuses will mean a bit of a bang if the copper touches the enclosure...

Unbelievable!!!!!!..........what a waste of a tie wrap

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock