Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Interesting one I found the other week, nice laser cut and labelled front panel (sorry no picture), yet they couldn't think of a better solution for the earth and neutral bars other than a choc block!

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_2352.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2352.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
Can we actually make a list of what's wrong? It's kinda tricky because some of the errors have mistakes in them. It's non-compliant in so many ways, perhaps more interesting is to work out where the real danger lies.

If I'm reading Marcus's comments right, it's fed from a 15A BS3036. On paper the cable is not rated for that (nor for 'power' circuits of any rating) but in truth it would be very hard to overheat it badly on a 15A fuse unless it's fully embedded in thermal insulation. Seems the fuse hasn't blown, so although the Ib, Iz and In are all the wrong way about, it's probably not going to hurt anyone.

The MCB rating is irrelevant - if the incoming cable isn't going to melt, the outgoing ones won't either. There are lots of legacy circuits without RCD protection; not connecting it doesn't make it any more dangerous than those. The colour code doesn't make any difference until you start modifying or testing. The leccy doesn't care which wire is which. Grommets, bare copper, chock block, meh.

Which brings us to that earth bar, sorry, neutral bar. The one used for the neutrals because the lines are in the proper neutral bar. It's connected to the case, although the outgoing earths are connected to earth, it seems. This gets my vote as the main risk here - one loose connection and that casing goes live. (TN-C is also prohibited, FWIW).

Thankfully that is easy to solve - take the link out, job's a good'un!

Thanks Lucien and all.
I’ll be back there today.
I’m determined to find the origin of that feed and disconnect it. Yes it is fed from a 15A 3036, which starts at 2.5mm but somewhere steps down to 1.0mm. The old 3036 board is almost back to back with this new board, and I did manage to get a hole through the wall from one location to another ready for a new feed....
Onwards with a day of moving furniture, lifting carpets and boards etc. Their 10yr old son had a near panic attack last night when he couldn’t turn his PlayStation on.
Meanwhile an image of a socket wired in 1.0mm 3 core..

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 74E6D540-65EA-4003-A22E-2DA89C4949E9 - EletriciansForums.net
    74E6D540-65EA-4003-A22E-2DA89C4949E9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
Looks like a new fitted and tiled kitchen , that’s going to a right badger to rewire

Might be a silly question but what were you actually there to do? Was this a complete surprise for the homeowners or did they expect trouble?

When was the garage conversion done? Before doing anything it might be worth speaking to building control regarding a dangerous installation. This cowboy needs stopping.

When was the garage conversion done? Before doing anything it might be worth speaking to building control regarding a dangerous installation. This cowboy needs stopping.

I tried to persuade the customer to go down that route, but he wasn’t interested. Just wants its fixed. Shame. I agree. This person is probably doing the same elsewhere right now.
He’s brickwork is good though..,

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 135B093B-04AC-4FEB-AB14-1240DD6FCB57 - EletriciansForums.net
    135B093B-04AC-4FEB-AB14-1240DD6FCB57.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 245
I tried to persuade the customer to go down that route, but he wasn’t interested. Just wants its fixed. Shame. I agree. This person is probably doing the same elsewhere right now.
Sweet baby Jesus and all the orphans, what the **** is that mess? Thing is, customers allow them to get away with this crap in the first place, if they didn't these cowboys wouldn't last long and end up working in Tescos stacking shelves...

Either that or the customer did it themselves and won't admit it.

That can not be the finished job surely

That is rough as ----

It's probably getting rendered.
Looking at the brickwork it's about 15mm out at the top, would be a pain to render properly.

What's the protocol in this situation? Is cooperation of the customer required for building control to take notice or should it be reported anyway? Given the state of it there can't be any way building control are aware the work has been carried out and fixing the wiring will leave a paper trail that shows you've worked on it and not reported it when something else goes wrong and they find out.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock