Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not the worst thing I have seen but,
This is in a trade counter that’s supposed to be showing off The product.

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! D335C9AC-6AF3-49A7-B3E0-509DA7DD55F9 - EletriciansForums.net
    D335C9AC-6AF3-49A7-B3E0-509DA7DD55F9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 205
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 7152018C-3C30-4647-94F3-42679D81BFEA - EletriciansForums.net
    7152018C-3C30-4647-94F3-42679D81BFEA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
So I got called out to a tripping breaker last week. 30A old Wylex push button MCB. Client had repeatedly re-energised and reported it stayed on for a while. This is what I found in a back box...

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! BurntOutSocket - EletriciansForums.net

After what I thought was a thorough walk round and some testing, it looked like there were just loads on the circuit, I did energise it whilst clamping the supply... 50A!

Wasn't able to restore full service but went back yesterday and this is what I found during my investigations:-

TT System with a fully functional 100mA upfront RCD which had been disconnected, but left in the on position... client was wondering why it didn't trip when this fault occured.

Ring final circuit with a leg that had been deliberately cut to break the ring with still connected live cable ends left uninsulated in a back box. The circuit was left on the 30A breaker.

Another socket had been taped over with parcel tape by the last 'electrician' to visit because it wasn't working.

When I left, the ring appeared to be in good order with good end to end continuity, the topology appears to be correct (some sockets were a bit high on the R1+R2 front but there is a bit of damp problem - that I suspect has been caused by people rendering inside and out with a strong mortar mix instead of lime render), IR is a bit low at around 2.5-3Mega ohm, RCD has been restored and tested (fully functional) and as far as I can tell all socket outlets have a functioning earth which is a major step forward from when I arrived as I found several with loose or non-existent connections.

The worst of it is, as best as I can tell, it was left in a bad way by a local guy who as far as I can tell has never been registered with a scheme but has been advertising for years offering the full compliment of domestic electrical services. It's not the first time his name has come up when I found some bad work.

Had another case the other day where I was moving a socket outlet. Started testing and shocker, the results were in some cases not at all like the certificate (they had a CU change back in June)... all circuits recorded having an IR of 200 Megaohms. I only found one that had anything like that, and on one half of the board, none of them had an IR of much over 3Mega ohms. And why was the board change sold to them? Because plastic boards are now illegal and they needed RCD protection for the lights in the bathroom (true) and their new mixer shower (true). But given they already had RCD protection on the socket circuits, both could have been supplied as spurs from the socket circuit... but hey how, plastic boards are now illegal so I can see a lot of board changes coming my way!!! FFS

Again, in that case a name came up that I've run across before, again in relation to some dodgy work. Does my head in!

Nice pic. Very appropriate considering it’s BBQ season. :p Appreciate I may have put off anyone coming round to my place for a BBQ

That slight charring on the two top lefthand terminals needs lookin into...
There’s quite a knack getting the termination just loose enough to get the correct arc. Takes years of practice to become competent. I hear that TLC are bringing out some lemon and coriander flavour earth sleeving :rolleyes:

I was on holiday last weekend barbequing half a dozen lovely juicy switch fused outlets (sausages) on our little bucket we use on caravan sites.... when a hungry seagull came and nabbed one off the grill.

:mad:

Bas***d!
Bludi seagulls!
One did the same to me recently...tore a chicken breast off the BBQ, and it was stuck on quite hard...how it stood the heat I do not know.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock