Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes you did! me, I just put the cable tie round the clip too..but, suppose you had to open it...
snip just before the clip part, pull the tail out, fix what you have to fix, add connections whatever, and re-use the tie just putting it through the holes but not wrapping it round.

Just a question
Who would treat this situation as inaccessible?
Presumably, any problem with the lighting point would result in removal....resulting in access.

Just a question
Who would treat this situation as inaccessible?
Presumably, any problem with the lighting point would result in removal....resulting in access.

Yes... because to access it you need to know it's there. In this particular example you can argue well there is likely to be a connection point for the downlight so you have an idea something might be there, but in general if I can't see it when the jobs finished I consider it to be inaccessible.

Yes... because to access it you need to know it's there. In this particular example you can argue well there is likely to be a connection point for the downlight so you have an idea something might be there, but in general if I can't see it when the jobs finished I consider it to be inaccessible.
Well. if it's there it's there, if it's not it's not......but it's the first place you'd look for it. I'll use my years in the job as experience in making a decision.
I feel some trivialities in the job are just getting worse.

This is one massive downside to this MF box phenomenon

In this instance imo it’s perfectly acceptable to use a DL hole to shove a nicely made joint box

But I have seen sparks bury these MF joints under concrete screed floors as they can be non accessible by definition

This is one massive downside to this MF box phenomenon

In this instance imo it’s perfectly acceptable to use a DL hole to shove a nicely made joint box

But I have seen sparks bury these MF joints under concrete screed floors as they can be non accessible by definition
There are extremes.....and stupidity. Some, with the basic crap they're being taught, or just presuming maybe, can't handle either.

accessible?
MF?
we are getting lost in the terminology,i think.
If a junction is truly inaccessible, it has to be MF, but if it is truly MF it should not be a concern...However, i am sure all of you proper electricians on here have seen examples of supposed MF junctions that are far from that.
The result is confusion...
Proper electricians will choose a method that will stand the test of time...bodgers will use choc-block and leccy tape buried in whatever is to hand.
I am not an electrician, as I have said many times, but in my amateur view any joint that CAN be accessed should be made in such a way that it it is able to be tested and proved ok...in a perfect world, any joint that CANNOT ever be accessed must be made in such a way that it cannot ever be compromised...if you find yourself making many such joints, I submit you should find appropriate methods.
There is a distinction between accessible, and accessible with some effort involved.
Both are "accessible", in my opinion. I bet most of you guys consider what you have to do, choose a method that allows access of some kind whenever that is possible, and if you forsee a situation where the circuit will never be able of access in the future, then you will avoid joints. Yes, a counsel of perfection...but never a bodge.
I know nothing of large industrial installations, but I believe that in domestic stuff it is almost always possible to keep all joints accessible, though the MF option is preferable even for the less accessible ones.
Tin hat on...

BTW, on another point, what is an accesssible toilet? Having a toilet that is inaccessible is a useless toilet!
Just another dilution of proper English...
Another tin hat on!

Doing an EICR today, No R1+R2 or Zs at the shower. Thought id pull the cord down to have a look. The switch just fell down, as you can see the earth and one of the live terminations has never been screwed and the other connections were not worth it.

To top it off this shower had no earth continuity to it, no 30mA RCD protection, and there was a DIY TNS reading of 532Ohms.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG-20191002-WA0005 - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG-20191002-WA0007 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock