Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0136.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0135.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0137.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0136.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0135.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0137.JPG - EletriciansForums.netHaving my van repaired at garage, went to there toilet, not on the picture but above sink was water heater on plug top. Plug top was in sink.
[automerge]1576098928[/automerge]
Doing periodic on farmers retail complex, started having a good look around to familiarise myself with the complex of small barn retailers, came across this (photo s) went and spoke to owner, he said been through separation and that supply is his ex wife s, Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0014.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0014.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0026.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0029.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0032.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_0033.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
So I got a call from an existing client telling me he needed my help. He informed me WPD were there replacing the main fuse because it had blown and then this happened.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 1 - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 2 - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 3 - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 4 - EletriciansForums.net Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 5 - EletriciansForums.net

Nice reminder of the power of what provides us with a job.

From what I can gather the guys from WPD were called out to a loss of power and found the fuse had blown. When they replaced it, it all kicked off. The board is a Lewden board with what I believe is a 100A MK main switch feeding a 32A MCB that supplied an armoured cable to the garage. They didn't open the small board and I have no idea whether they did any kind of testing but they were kind enough to install the isolator and hand me the fuse when I arrived (along with a stick on seal for it). There was water dripping into the cabinet from the hole where the cables exited, which I'm hoping is just from a dodgy seal along the top edge, but they were speculating that the water had damaged the small board. The cores of the SWA it supplied were covered in soot and I wasn't able to establish whether there was any heat damage to them but around where they entered the bedding they don't look right but there was no visible copper. IR tests on that cable were quite low, not enough to be the cause of that devastation but low enough for me to decline immediate reconnection without further investigation... that and the armour wasn't earthed at the supply.

So, when I get back there to sort out a replacement for that little board, my first stop is going to be the garage board and some extensive tests on the cable. Will let you guys know what I find :)

I think that 32A breaker might have been the root cause.

breaker either had a loose connection or an internal fault possibly due to water?
melted the casing until the internal parts were able to reach the back plate of the board.

arcing for a while until it took out the main fuse.

then it all set hard with the short now welded to the back plate just waiting to be reconnected.

lots of heat generated when new fuse installed and therefore the subsequent fire.

you can clearly see where it has melted through the metal din rail and back of enclosure.

I've seen that before on a voltage regulator, water ingress blew the incoming fuses as the arc tracked between L2 & L3, went with a bit of a pop...

my first stop is going to be the garage board and some extensive tests on the cable. Will let you guys know what I find :)

Strip the burnt end back and inspect it first, it's most likely just covered in soot rather than damaged.
As James has said the location of the fault is obvious from the chunk missing out if the breaker and the hole in the steel enclosure.

Nice tidy installation for a change, oh wait....

Eddies back for Xmas.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 75E41558-54ED-4A29-9A25-AEBD88BFDDA7 - EletriciansForums.net

Slight damp problem

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 2C4B690E-7068-4DE7-B06C-090D83589187 - EletriciansForums.net

Covers are so overrated

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 8C5621A2-AB04-4616-A1C0-12B8B1E89EAC - EletriciansForums.net

Terminate the armour, never heard of the like in all my days...

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 1118F5D1-C651-40F7-89B3-09FE7F3D54BE - EletriciansForums.net

Happy Friday kids!!!

Bit of advice please,do you think this notch is big enough for the 4mm bonding?View attachment 55046
that's lateral thinking. sparks has used the notch cut by a wet-pants in the wrong place to save getting his combi drilll off the van.

Does the property actually need 4mm bonding? Doesn’t look like there’s any pipe work to be bonded with all those empty holes.

Does the property actually need 4mm bonding? Doesn’t look like there’s any pipe work to be bonded with all those empty holes.
No mate, it’s the same cable that was bonding the fibre glass bath I posted a while back, I forget to put it up at the time...apparently all that damage (most of the joists look like that) was done a few years back when a wet pants spent 3 months putting in a central heating system.....
[automerge]1578297281[/automerge]

Incidentally, do plumbers abide by the same regs as us, for holes and slots in joists? Serious questioned, like how would a 28mm pipe or waste pipe, be able to be installed at right angles to joists.

Incidentally, do plumbers abide by the same regs as us, for holes and slots in joists? Serious questioned, like how would a 28mm pipe or waste pipe, be able to be installed at right angles to joists.
a wet-pants wouldn't know a right angle if it bit him in the arse.

Yes mate, they are building regs, same for all I believe,
[automerge]1578309307[/automerge]
Although I’ve never met a wet pants that believes they apply to them ?

Last edited:

Not got my building regs guide book with me, but thought the matter was based on guidance from some British Standard, as opposed directly mentioned in a Building Regulation?

Not withstanding the reg in BS 7671.

not bubbling mate...seething. was a plumber stole my socket tester. a plumber stole my set of wera screwdrivers. was a plumber that burnt 10 of my alarm cables with his blowtorch. was a plumber that that threaded his plastic pipes through my cable holes. nah, i don't dislike plumbers, i hate them with a passion ( appart from Barry the Bath that fixes wet things that i come across from time to time. fair price and reliable.if youse on forum Barry, a bottle of Laphroiag would be welcome).).

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock