Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just think of them as forward facing ventilation holes. Another thought, it also allows you to probe them without removing the cover, convenient.

most of my work is in industrial control, I see so many contactors, it took a moment to realise that they were accessible to "normal people"

The photos below were taken last week inside the attic of a property in Glasgow. These atrocities are typical of what I expect to find, and usually do find, whenever I am called-out to jobs where Barry the bathroom fitter or his fellow muppet Kevin the kitchen fitter have been let loose beforehand. Barely a week goes past where I don't come across such poor workmanship. :angry:

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! Exposed Connections - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! Downlight 1 - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! Downlight 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! Downlight 3 - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! Downlight 4 - EletriciansForums.net

How did you get into my attic, JK?
I'm sorry...I should have colour-matched the insulating tape to the conductors...
[automerge]1579472141[/automerge]
Looks like they kept the CPC though...
[automerge]1579472365[/automerge]
Ap[art from the lack of stand-off brackets, the poor termination of CPC, and the lack of any strain relief or other clipping...
not bad really!
Did you remove the insulation blanket or was it cut away by the installer?

Last edited:
Apart from the lack of stand-off brackets, the poor termination of CPC, and the lack of any strain relief or other clipping...
not bad really!
They never bothered fitting an RCD either.
Did you remove the insulation blanket or was it cut away by the installer
This is a tenement building. I don't think there was ever any insulation here to begin with!

Sorry, I thought I saw remnants of loft insulation in a couple of the pics!
Still, access looks quite good...
carry on!

Sorry, I thought I saw remnants of loft insulation in a couple of the pics!
Still, access looks quite good...
carry on!

You're quite correct ..... you did indeed see bits of loft insulation. I didn't notice any loose sections adjacent to the downlights which is why I think there wasn't much insulation up there to begin with!

When our place was built, they forgot to install the spec’ frost & pipe stat.
Young sparks turned up to install it. He was on the phone a lot, apprentice think he was struggling how to connect it. I was gonna help, but the mrs told me to keep my nose out. He was pleased as punch, when he left. Heres the end result (cant rotate the pic on my iPad).

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! F1A9BC08-92EB-437C-BB30-91A6B6128AC1 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Lol at least the flex looks long, perhaps it will reach the correct pipe!
I think the correct pipe comes in the bottom of the boiler... so I think the flex will be long enough. (could be wrong, but thinking the 2 pipes in view are the flow and return)

Is there enough silicon where the wall meets the ceiling?

I think the correct pipe comes in the bottom of the boiler... so I think the flex will be long enough. (could be wrong, but thinking the 2 pipes in view are the flow and return)

Is there enough silicon where the wall meets the ceiling?

The pipe stat should be on tbe return, which is at the top of the boiler.
[automerge]1579558220[/automerge]
Well spotted that man. But I think others have. Was going to complain to the developers, but didn't wanna burst that apprentice bubble.

You should make the complaint, otherwise they may be installing them the same for any number of houses.
If the apprentice doesn't learn what they have done wrong then they will continue to do it wrong again and again, and probably teach the next person how to do it wrong.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock