Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Got a job to connect up a dishwasher next Friday, they can't plug it in as the original was only connected up with wires, house is less than ten years old and they're the second owners.

Asked for a picture so I could see what they meant, needless to say I will be going around a bit earlier to sort it out:

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 111 - EletriciansForums.net

On a fused spur above just need flex outlet - standard really as not enough room behind most dishwashers for socket and plug

"As an aid to the correct identification of individual conductors, the use of clear polythene is recommended"
I can't remember which Reg. this is, off the top of my head...

Sparkychick - can you name and shame to the 'authorities'? It looks recent.

Alas no, there is nothing to give any clue who did it (not surprising), but it's a rental property. Speaking with the tenants Mum, it was like that when they moved in. She was going to raise holy hell with the agency and she wants me to go back and check it when they've apparently fixed it.

If it had been their own place, no doubt I would have been given the green light to sort it.

Someone asked about the other tails... they go to another small CU which I think deals with a shower. Again, no labelling, no stickers to give a clue who did it. I suspect it's the work of the landlord. The funny thing is, two of the 6A breakers have scrawl on them suggesting upstairs and downstairs lights, based on the age I'd say even without that cracking bus bar screw up they would have had problems with a borrowed neutral on the landing or hall. But to just stick the lighting in a 32A breaker???? Why not move the 6A? Clearly just no clue what so ever.

<rant>Yeah, and it's the sort of thing that means that those of us who do care and do have a clue now have to just through more hoops of red tape.
The thing is, there's enough evidence there to deal with such clueless ****oles without needing new regs - this is a clear breach of the "mumble homes fitness for habitation mumble" regulations. But the biggest problem is that the existing rules/regs/laws just aren't enforced - in part because the councils don't have the cash for enforcement. So instead we get another layer of regs that won't actually be enforced except when something gets flagged up.
So decent landlords will pay up for an EICR every few years, rogues will just ignore it like they ignore everything else, and the councils will do naff all about it.
</rant>
[automerge]1592146583[/automerge]
Probably the same spaghetti monster who did these fibres...
Actually that's "relatively" tidy. Short of making custom length cables for every connection (which negates the benefits of factory made & tested cables), it's very difficult to do such a high-density patching without the piles of cables hanging down the side.
As for the 10 pair, that's a different matter. Looks like a 201C box that's missing the punchdown blocks - why might be an interesting question. But the problem here is that the engineers (actually, most of them aren't engineers, just technicians) are typically given more jobs to do than they have time for, and the days when they all had extensive training which included the "art of tidy terminations" seem to be long gone. So these days it's mostly a case of get in, do what you have to do, get out - and no time to tidy up anyone else's mess while you're at it.
But that's what everyone seems to want - not that they realise it. Almost everyone is only interested in "who will do X for the least amount of money" - and that typically means "who can do X for the least expenditure of man-hours".

Last edited:
Not to bad actually just wonder what the life span of Pvc in water is . Sending the mega down it tommorow to see how it fairing .it was installed 6 months ago
Sending Mega down it, don't understand.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock