Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

All the conductors were seriously corroded! They had a major damp problem apparently and had to have it sorted out, the old backbox was still in the scrap pile or what was left of it! It looked similar to this one that I took out for the other socket that was equally as bodged and naff!
View attachment 59750
Had one last week with the plug basically rusted into the socket...

It amazes me what will still work, this install is probably 40 years old and apart from a newish consumer unit has not been touched. Still has the old coughtree swan neck outside lights and all sockets were the old mk type, mainly singles.
Snipped back the corroded wire and the tarnish didn't go much further that where it was exposed to air and damp. Surprisingly the insulation test came out ok as well! Re-terminated in a lovely wago box and put back into service!
[automerge]1595878232[/automerge]
Another quality job
Caravan supplies no less!
I think it was very lucky for all the spike that is holding this aloft never touched anything live Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20200527_1430331 - EletriciansForums.netinside as the RCD did sweet fa! :eek: :eek:
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20200527_1430473 - EletriciansForums.net
Soon made that a bit safer!Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20200603_1613227 - EletriciansForums.net
Before anyone comments, yes I did label it all with my trusty dymo!!

Last edited:
It’s bad enough that this sfcu is grouted into the tiles, until you see where it is.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! FB70ECE4-5E35-484E-8DD6-B8BD95A966EB - EletriciansForums.net

another pic taken a step back...

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 58211357-B6A4-4343-960F-51CBF3B04066 - EletriciansForums.net

Another step back and I’d be in the shower.

Luckily this point had been disconnected, and another placed through the wall outside the door. At one time this switched the towel rail heater.

(laughed when sfcu was autocorrected to “sexy”)

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 20200810_150440 - EletriciansForums.net

Not quite as dry as expected!

"We have had a cable already run, it's in a fully waterproof enclosure, in a self-draining inspection pit, so it will be as dry as a bone"

Thought I would better check!

The water in the ip68 box is as clear as gin!

So it may not be waterproof, but it sure has a good filter the water in the pit is filthy

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 20200810_150422 - EletriciansForums.net

Yes, I've often wondered about buried stuff like that. There's so much of it about, I can only assume most of it is better sealed than that was - gland not fitted properly or wrong type ?

Yes, I've often wondered about buried stuff like that. There's so much of it about, I can only assume most of it is better sealed than that was - gland not fitted properly or wrong type ?
No idea, I merely showed them it, dried it out a bit and put it back!

I assume they didn't put a gasket/seal between the gland and box.

Same thing as I had to do on a job a couple of weeks ago... spare way but the planks had cut the bush bar too short, so used a short section of 16mm earthing cable wrapped in brown tape to supply my new circuit.

Not sure it's a good idea to use the busbar terminals and the cable terminal at the same time though, I'd be a bit wary of it just in case one of them wasn't as tight as it might ordinarily be if one or the other was in use.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock