Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Same thing as I had to do on a job a couple of weeks ago... spare way but the planks had cut the bush bar too short, so used a short section of 16mm earthing cable wrapped in brown tape to supply my new circuit.

Not sure it's a good idea to use the busbar terminals and the cable terminal at the same time though, I'd be a bit wary of it just in case one of them wasn't as tight as it might ordinarily be if one or the other was in use.

Would ferrule ends make for a more secure connection in this instance?

Same thing as I had to do on a job a couple of weeks ago... spare way but the planks had cut the bush bar too short, so used a short section of 16mm earthing cable wrapped in brown tape to supply my new circuit.

Not sure it's a good idea to use the busbar terminals and the cable terminal at the same time though, I'd be a bit wary of it just in case one of them wasn't as tight as it might ordinarily be if one or the other was in use.
I just think it looks awful, there are 3 spare ways on the rcd side so I suspect there’s also an earth fault on that circuit and someone has had to get creative

Would ferrule ends make for a more secure connection in this instance?

No, I don't think so. The issue I see with it is that using both, the cable may deform over time. The busbar is only clamped well when the cage clamp is tightly closed, so as the cable deforms, both terminations have the potential to become loose. However, the same could be said for a cable in the cage clamp with a bus bar lug.

It's just not an ideal situation.

I did look for a segment of bus bar as I know I've got a few chunks in the back of the van but couldn't find one.
[automerge]1597174336[/automerge]
I just think it looks awful, there are 3 spare ways on the rcd side so I suspect there’s also an earth fault on that circuit and someone has had to get creative

It does look awful. If I'd had an alternative solution I would have used it, sadly I did. It wasn't until I removed the bus bar cover I found out the spare way had no lug.

Why? Did you not have a short offcut of brown from the circuit you were installing?

Yes, but given the busbar has no overcurrent protection aside from the suppliers fuse (regardless of whether it's likely to happen), 2.5mm for a 20A supply vs. a segment of 16mm. Whilst I'm not happy with the fact I had to do it, I am happy with my choice of conductor for the job.

Yes, but given the busbar has no overcurrent protection aside from the suppliers fuse (regardless of whether it's likely to happen), 2.5mm for a 20A supply vs. a segment of 16mm. Whilst I'm not happy with the fact I had to do it, I am happy with my choice of conductor for the job.

But it does have overcurrent protection, the MCB that it is connected to.

It's no different to connecting a switchfuse to a busbar, you wouldn't connect a 63A switchfuse to a busbar with 150mm just because it's rated at 400A.

But it does have overcurrent protection, the MCB that it is connected to.

It's no different to connecting a switchfuse to a busbar, you wouldn't connect a 63A switchfuse to a busbar with 150mm just because it's rated at 400A.

I'm not thinking load fault, I'm thinking fault inside the board on the supply side of the MCBs. In that case there is no overcurrent protection aside from the suppliers fuse in most cases. If a fault occurs in the board, I'd rather have something in place that stands a chance of coping with a fault like that. If the cable I chose caught fire, it's probably a board change and a whole world of heart replacing damaged cables. As it is, if the same fault occurs, I'd probably just be replacing that link.

Like I said, this is unlikely to happen, I'm happy with my choice as I think it minimises the potential for a bigger issue in the unlikely event it does.

And as for the situation you've outlined... it's outside my sphere of experience. If I was asked to do something like that, I'd be on here asking for advice from more experienced people and depending on the size of the task at hand, I may be looking to punt some work to someone on the basis I can tag along and learn from the experience.

on a school night, surely you will be reading a story and turning the lights off in half an hour?:princess::princess:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock