Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

zerax,. i hear you...I won't be here in 50 years, but things are heading the way you say...

Julie, I can get to Livingston ok, but it's a long way for a steak pie...fortunately there's another excellent butcher in helensburgh...my local guy makes a good pie but it's just not the same.
I'd rather have some bradan rost than a pistachio ice-cream...but we are being fed, literally, a diet of cheap food,and it's not helping on the obesity front (says he who loves steak pie!)
Nothing wrong with a good steak pie made with good ingredients pirate, balanced diet is the answer....so I balance pies with some veg and Guinness ?
[automerge]1599760638[/automerge]
This was found under decking done by decking lads
C’mon that is creative engineering there! ?

inside a 22kw motor on a machine that i was fault finding today.

strange, at panel end, all motor cables had good continuity to earth. (expected to find a well burnt out motor)
went to motor to check out there and all was fine.

opening cover had removed the short to earth.

got to love the old wire nuts!!!

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_1553.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1553.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Need to admit something.

when visiting New Zealand a few years ago I bought hair clippers as I needed a trim.
Of course, when I brought them home, they were useless without an adaptor.

lockdown hits, and I needed a haircut.
So plugtop, a length of flex and some insulating tape.... “safely” enclosed in my garage. Charged up the clippers no problem until I got a proper adaptor

Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

View attachment 28495

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

View attachment 28495
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

View attachment 28495

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

View attachment 28495
Called in to sort a not working light. DIY light replacement on 2 way switching, neutral lost but dodgy as hell.

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 1D1A9F6C-FD52-4ABD-8617-836D4707B3A8 - EletriciansForums.net
    1D1A9F6C-FD52-4ABD-8617-836D4707B3A8.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 191
I don’t know wether to be proud or disappointed with myself that I’ve never looked a plug and even considered that as an option
I was thinking the same - full marks for improvisation. And TBH, not really that much wrong with it is there ? I think the most dodgy part will be how to get little wires to fit properly in a connector block that fits a 13A plug pin.
Need to admit something. ...
Well ... remember when those 2.5A cloverleaf connectors first started appearing - especially on computer stuff ? Well of course, the first time you come across one, you don't have a spare cable, and so it was that one day someone came to me with "I've forgotten the cable for my laptop and the battery is nearly flat ?" Of course, I had a reputation to keep up as "the guy that can do anything if you ask nicely" so I had a little think. So out of sight, two bare ends, some insulation from cores about the right size to fit on the pins to hold the wires in place, charged the laptop up for the nice lady. Naturally there was no way I was letting that improvisation anywhere someone unskilled could get near it.
Called in to sort a not working light.
Yuck.
A while ago I got asked if I'd help no 1 daughter's friend with a couple of lights he'd bought. That was a "WTF were they thinking" moment when I had a look at it. One of those central ceiling plates, with 5 (yes, FIVE) arms sticking out with SES lampholders on the end for candle bulbs. Simple enough according to the destructions - all you have to do is put the five pairs of wires into chock blocks and connect them to the ceiling wiring. Yeah right, even with the 5 pairs all shortened it was "a bit if a faff" to get the fitting in place o_O What fun, trying to herd all the wires into place, sufficiently neatly that the fitting would go on it's bracket, then hold it there while getting a screw with one hand, a screwdriver with the third hand, and while holding on to the ladder with the fourth hand - or that's what it felt like.
Every now and then I remember that I've not been back and done the other one :rolleyes: If I do remember to it, I'll neatly dress the pairs, and crimp things together so there's just one pair of wires to connect up.

Called in to sort a not working light. DIY light replacement on 2 way switching, neutral lost but dodgy as hell.
I find those type of push fit connectors can be very tricky with flex, takes the knack to get them to grip properly and easy to get it wrong. No excuse for the mess they made of it overall though!
[automerge]1599783177[/automerge]
inside a 22kw motor on a machine that i was fault finding today.

strange, at panel end, all motor cables had good continuity to earth. (expected to find a well burnt out motor)
went to motor to check out there and all was fine.

opening cover had removed the short to earth.

got to love the old wire nuts!!!

Was it poor connection inside the wire nut that had caused the melt? or overload?

I still have a few from when Ideal tried to bring them back over here maybe 10 years ago? Never tempted to use them, though I have a couple of the waterproof gel filled ones in my bag for outdoor bodgery...

not a bad attempt by a DIYer to put up a new light By them selve.
looks like they had some trouble chewing on the flex To get the insulation off , but apart from that looks fine to me :D

I find those type of push fit connectors can be very tricky with flex, takes the knack to get them to grip properly and easy to get it wrong. No excuse for the mess they made of it overall though!
[automerge]1599783177[/automerge]

Was it poor connection inside the wire nut that had caused the melt? or overload?

I still have a few from when Ideal tried to bring them back over here maybe 10 years ago? Never tempted to use them, though I have a couple of the waterproof gel filled ones in my bag for outdoor bodgery...
As far as I can tell, it was not an overload, it is inverter controlled and the current limits set correctly.

Working on the assumption that it was a poor connection as the others were ok and it is an equal load on all of them

don't tell me, replace cooker isolation switch.
cant damage tiles or cupboard because they have just been installed?!!!

Nothing wrong with a good steak pie made with good ingredients pirate, balanced diet is the answer....so I balance pies with some veg and Guinness ?
[automerge]1599760638[/automerge]

C’mon that is creative engineering there! ?
veg. my arse. a balanced diet is a pie in each hand with beer close by.

Good grief you would have to be either very lazy or very stupid to install the kitchen unit over the switch like that. Not to mention it looks awful.
don't tell me, replace cooker isolation switch.
cant damage tiles or cupboard because they have just been installed?!!!

Previous owner DIY'd it apparently, so hopefully they are planning to retile. All a bit odd - all RCD sockets in the kitchen, though a dual RCD CU was installed in 2015.

Oven that's blocking that switch doesn't seem to be run from it (might be from a socket outlet if that switch has one behind the cupboard - in which case a 4.1kW oven is running off a 13A plug)

And an Elecsa EIC for the new board that claims the 6mm Cooker circuit has ring continuity while the 2.5mm "Ring Circuit" doesn't :rolleyes:

Not to mention that it claims 10mm main earth when the feed is 16mm T&E, and the 2 10mm g/y cables leaving the CU don't go back to the MET.

Going to be a fun can of worms to open.

Still, on the plus side I installed a new Fusebox CU at the source today (adding a couple of circuits in a porch) so they have SPD for the installation and proper bonding at least.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock