Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Classic case of "job and finish" fitting a cupboard like that. No concern for the future use, no pride in workmanship, just shove it in and take the money. Makes me very angry...and seen far too often. Bet the fitter said proudly to the homeowner "Look, there you go, I've cut that just perfect so you can still use the switch".
However, it could be fun if you were ever called to rewire Kev's house...T&E clipped direct to the tiling in the kitchen, use up all your round edged socket plates on his square edged back boxes, and of course use plasterboard screws for everything, and no wall-plugs...
Except, Electricians have standards to adhere to...

Landlords mains board installed in 2018.
Column light which had been replaced a month ago and was flickering.

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 3E119A1B-F85A-40D6-B135-FACFC08CEF62 - EletriciansForums.net
    3E119A1B-F85A-40D6-B135-FACFC08CEF62.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 022ABA2D-DC58-4AA8-8F3F-E72077E447B3 - EletriciansForums.net
    022ABA2D-DC58-4AA8-8F3F-E72077E447B3.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 21FDC9BC-5D61-40EA-8227-873C09B8621C - EletriciansForums.net
    21FDC9BC-5D61-40EA-8227-873C09B8621C.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 112
Landlords mains board installed in 2018.

The first obvious mistake was installing blurry breakers ;)

Is that all the lighting on one RCD, and the sockets etc on another? Sounds like good selectivity.

I'll admit I'm not the neatest with boards, but I'd like to think I'd manage better than that. What's going on with those tails?

Column light which had been replaced a month ago and was flickering.

At least he used blue tape to match the arctic rating of the feed cable! Did the manufacturer actually supply a suitable method of terminating the flex? Might avoid some of the lash ups if they did.

Can't remember the last time I used those connectors though - wago/ideal are so much easier. One of those little Wiska mini gel filled boxes seems perfectly suited for occasions like this.

I believe the blurry ness of the picture is due to the shear amount of water that has got on everything today haha. I’m not sure in the manufacturer supplied anything, however the fitting was able to be opened and a new flex easily installed, although if that voided the MF warranty will be a mystery. One of those torpedo 20A IP68 thru connectors would have been my choice of weapon though if faced with this conundrum. Ended up swapping out 4 column heads in the end for new.

I went in the other building landlords board today. Much better ?. Noticed the fire alarm didn’t have 30mA RCD protection even though the cable isn’t buried less than 50mm in the building fabric, on a 2018 build ?. Shambles of a job from top to bottom, All the sub mains to the flats are 16mm T&E and come down the wall in the dot and dab so I’m convinced there not 50mm in the building fabric either. All fed via MCBs.
They couldn’t even be arsed with grommets.

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! BF8B3A4D-4E8D-478B-B685-B22CC492BA34 - EletriciansForums.net
    BF8B3A4D-4E8D-478B-B685-B22CC492BA34.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 65D812D8-1540-4E34-99B0-66E691041EA5 - EletriciansForums.net
    65D812D8-1540-4E34-99B0-66E691041EA5.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 107
I went in the other building landlords board today. Much better ?. Noticed the fire alarm didn’t have 30mA RCD protection even though the cable isn’t buried less than 50mm in the building fabric, on a 2018 build ?. Shambles of a job from top to bottom, All the sub mains to the flats are 16mm T&E and come down the wall in the dot and dab so I’m convinced there not 50mm in the building fabric either. All fed via MCBs.
They couldn’t even be arsed with grommets

E]
They couldn’t even be arsed with grommets.
Don't believe grommets are required as long as the cable on entry is solidly fixed in place.

You are right Pete, they wouldn’t be required, but it’s good practice isn’t it, I’d be fuming if someone did work for me and couldn’t be arsed putting a 2p grommet in a box prior to installing.
Yes I Agree, I would always it's bad practice, but did or are the cables fixed in place? that's what I was getting at, I would always install a grommet, common sense really isn't it?

Was working at a house that was rewired 5 years ago, no grommets fitted. It just shows a lack of care, though that was insignificant compared to the other defects found.

I did some jobs on a brand new £600,000 house the other week and absolutely no boxes where I took accessories off had grommets and some weren’t even fixed in place properly. No clipping in the loft and No sleeving on switch lines either.
it literally looks like the place was wired with No care.
oh and the consumer unit lid was held on with one screw and had a missing blank leaving a hole in the front.
this gaff was 18 months old.
just Smacks of throw the electrics in and get out quick ...

The few million pound houses I've been in are practically indistinguishable 'behind the scenes' on all fronts - breeze block and poorly run services with the minimum effort on fittings or indeed bothering to get them straight. Guess you have to pay another million for that around here.... :rolleyes:

I did some jobs on a brand new £600,000 house the other week and absolutely no boxes where I took accessories off had grommets and some weren’t even fixed in place properly. No clipping in the loft and No sleeving on switch lines either.
it literally looks like the place was wired with No care.
oh and the consumer unit lid was held on with one screw and had a missing blank leaving a hole in the front.
this gaff was 18 months old.
just Smacks of throw the electrics in and get out quick ...
I think that’s the domestic game all over now. Rough it and run.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock