Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I love it when you can see multiple installation methods in one example.
In case the pic isn't clear, we have SWA in corrugated conduit, exposed, from the ground up to about 2m, then it's cemented in for a bit, then it emerges and is sort-of cleated for the rest of the run.
View attachment 61305
Whoever did it was so proud that they signed their name next to it.

It would be interesting to see the risk assessment done before they mandated putting millions of electrical installations outside and exposed to the weather. Of course they'll have done one of those ... won't they ?

It’s not uncommon in plenty of countries to have external meters and fused cut-outs

in fact it’s a legal requirement to have them outside

Well it didn't used to be a legal requirement in this country - is it actually a legal requirement ? If it is, then there must have been an assessment done. Given the normal opinion that electricity and water should never mix - it seems odd to insist on putting stuff outside, given how flimsy the cabinets are.
If I'm ever forced to do that, I;d be looking for a galvanised steel box, with a mesh cover on the door so it can be rendered and painted to match the house. What do you mean, it'll block radio signals ? Why would I want my meter talking to the world every half hour !

I'm still trying to think what to do with the fugly box a previous owner stuck on the front of this house for the gas meter. Of course, not being built in, it's even more obtrusive than the built on ones.

What the heck is that , it looks like the crate I chuck all my off cuts in...

that surely can’t be an existing in use installation ?
Yes I found that hidden underneath a floorboard it is a s plan heating system with solar panels integrated the builder carrying out a loft conversion discovered it and rung me. There’s more than that junction boxes galore sockets lights jointed together I’ve done loads of work there recently have ripped out loads of wiring had a mere when I changed consumer unit but all good now and safe the previous builder cut all the main support beams to fit velux windows builder condemned it instantly but 8 weeks later all safe for them to move back in ?

Well it didn't used to be a legal requirement in this country - is it actually a legal requirement ? If it is, then there must have been an assessment done. Given the normal opinion that electricity and water should never mix - it seems odd to insist on putting stuff outside, given how flimsy the cabinets are.
If I'm ever forced to do that, I;d be looking for a galvanised steel box, with a mesh cover on the door so it can be rendered and painted to match the house. What do you mean, it'll block radio signals ? Why would I want my meter talking to the world every half hour !

I'm still trying to think what to do with the fugly box a previous owner stuck on the front of this house for the gas meter. Of course, not being built in, it's even more obtrusive than the built on ones.
bypass the gas meter. brick it all in, tell them you are an all electric household. then sell the meter to a cannabis farm. sorted.

It does mean when you have house fire the whole house power can be killed before fire fighters gain entry.

There plenty of better more solidly built boxes out there but as usual housebuilders will go with the cheapest possible option

There's another thread on here about installing a low-power shower circuit, one of those which uses hot and cold supplies and has pump. Here's a step-by-step pictorial guide to just such a thing...and just in case anyone reading this is tempted to follow suit DON'T!

First of all, make sure you have a handy double socket in the hall outside the bathroom, and just ignore the now redundant FCU.
Then, drill a hole through the wall and insert some flex, and put a plug on it, for inserting into the aforementioned socket. Don't use the cord-grip, obviously.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! pic1 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock