Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

There was a fire near me a few weeks ago at a general engineers. Gutted the rather ancient building they occupy.

As far as cause… I had heard from sources… so take with a pinch of salt… that they had a bonfire going and whoever was told to put it out with water…. Picked up paint thinners instead.

Would have had to be a serious H&S breach there keeping chemicals in unmarked containers, and not secure… but more likely the fire was just too close to old dry wood and the old building.

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
going back tomy earlier days, we once was burning rubbish behing the store ( Rumbelows). wind blew sparks etc. into outhouse which had polystyrene packing in it. caught light. progressed to old dry timbers, whole shop damaged. end of story, the whole shop was renovated bythe insurers cost about £40k. only a month previous owners had received a quote for £15k to replace woodworm damaged timbers which ended up paid for on the fire insurance. (and i never got even a thanks).

S

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As a side story to the "the building burned down" stories ...
Some time ago a friend of mine was an architect and involved with a major retailer. My friend queried why they weren't fitting sprinklers in the new store she was involved with, to be told that they cost too much in stock damage every time someone knocked a head and let the water out.
Roll forward a relatively short time ... In the space of a couple of months, they had two stores catch fire. Neither had sprinklers, and by the time the fire was put out, there was nothing left but a pile of mangled steelwork that had just collapsed once it got hot enough to lose it's strength.

Cue project to retrofit sprinklers in their other stores 🙄

ipf

ipf

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
going back tomy earlier days, we once was burning rubbish behing the store ( Rumbelows). wind blew sparks etc. into outhouse which had polystyrene packing in it. caught light. progressed to old dry timbers, whole shop damaged. end of story, the whole shop was renovated bythe insurers cost about £40k. only a month previous owners had received a quote for £15k to replace woodworm damaged timbers which ended up paid for on the fire insurance. (and i never got even a thanks).
Still don't know where the 500 smackers in your back pocket came from, then?

littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Gives me an excuse to repost one of these photos:

EE8C70EA-0F80-4488-AD1F-FA09C5745AAD.jpeg

my father in laws caravan site, which he sold in 2016 and I’d spent a decade working on.

The cause, again through local gossip-mongers, was an electric heater left on overnight.

M

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
As a side story to the "the building burned down" stories ...
Some time ago a friend of mine was an architect and involved with a major retailer. My friend queried why they weren't fitting sprinklers in the new store she was involved with, to be told that they cost too much in stock damage every time someone knocked a head and let the water out.
Roll forward a relatively short time ... In the space of a couple of months, they had two stores catch fire. Neither had sprinklers, and by the time the fire was put out, there was nothing left but a pile of mangled steelwork that had just collapsed once it got hot enough to lose it's strength.

Cue project to retrofit sprinklers in their other stores 🙄
I would have thought sprinklers were perfect for what they do

Is this a problem the heads being knocked ?

James

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score

I know a couple of companies that have sprinklers decommissioned because the insurance was cheaper without them.

stock loss cost and likelihood calculations for accidental activation outweighed the total loss cost vs. the likelihood for a real fire.

M

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
I haven't seen too many fires ,mainly at main boards and metering locations

As a poster alluded to previously , there's usually plenty to worry about in a fire situation than the cabling

M

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
I know a couple of companies that have sprinklers decommissioned because the insurance was cheaper without them.

stock loss cost and likelihood calculations for accidental activation outweighed the total loss cost vs. the likelihood for a real fire.
Hmm well that's interesting

S

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They are - simple, reliable, effective, and relatively low cost.
The problem is in the stock rooms. All it takes is one careless forklift manouver and you've popped a sprinkler - then water gushes out and all the stock in tne vicinity is damaged. And for good measure, when tbe water flows the fire alarm goes off and you have a load of "annoyed" customers who have to be kicked out.

freddo

freddo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Surely in those sorts of areas the heads would be installed on the top of the pipe rather than underneath? In ceilings, recessed heads can be fitted that sit flush with the ceiling to prevent damage. These are good for domestic use as well as they are discreet. Sprinkler systems are great. I've been to 3 places that have had fires and sprinklers. In all 3 cases the sprinklers extinguished the fire before it spread beyond the room the fire started.

S

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ah, but now you are into the realms of "workmanship vs speed/cost". Just like we see much ekectrical work done down to a price, same thing with sprinklers.

And while I don't know what they are, there are rules about how sprinklers must be installed. I recall that our warehouse guys had just finished putting solid shelves on the racking when they were told that it either had to be open (slatted) or they'd have to add sprinklers on each level - they bought in a load of slatted shelves and had a big pile of surplus ply.

freddo

freddo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen a fuseboard that actually had fuses in the spare fuse clips. Looks like it was installed in the garden!

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
shame i binned it. took one of them out the other week, pristine condition. you could have had it for £100. it had "failed" EICR through no RCD.

Doomed

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Found these in one of my old folders, I may of posted them before, but no harm showing them again.
Got called by care in the community person to assess if a property was electrically safe for someone to return too, only had to do a visual, this is how I found it......
DSC02692.JPG DSC02693.JPG DSC02694.JPG DSC02695.JPG DSC02696.JPG DSC02697.JPG DSC02698.JPG DSC02699.JPG DSC02700.JPG DSC02701.JPG DSC02702.JPG DSC02703.JPG DSC02704.JPG DSC02705.JPG DSC02706.JPG

littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
4th picture. Is that a calculator with retro red lcd display?

What happened to all this? Did you have to report much? Did someone move back into that?

freddo

freddo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I like the light fitting in the first photo! I'd love to know what all these creations do!

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.