Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some of the others had bits of cut off MIG wire sticking out all over the place!
I can't laugh too much though, my first attempts at TIG welding were not good, at all. I did practice on scrap metal that went in the bin though, not on site!

Another non electrical seen when installing some heaters:
The 'weld' has completely failed and the bracket is no longer attached to the steel lintel.
View attachment 60416

Even I can weld better than that!
[automerge]1598472448[/automerge]
Some of the others had bits of cut off MIG wire sticking out all over the place!
I can't laugh too much though, my first attempts at TIG welding were not good, at all. I did practice on scrap metal that went in the bin though, not on site!

Same here, I'm still in the early stages of learning TIG and so far I have managed convert a lot of good metal into scrap.

I've also just started with TIG, It's probably one of the most difficult skills I've ever tried to acquire, very steep learning curve.

My biggest issue at the moment is, I think, the incredibly low cost 'Chinese Export' machine the boss bought and I have been playing with.

On the plus side it has a plasma cutter which is great fun, definately the fastest way to convert big useful bits of metal into little bits of scrap whilst also setting fire to the workshop!

Do you mean TIG or MIG ? They are different and MIG is more common.
Remind me of an old Range Rover I bought for parts. It had an LPG conversion with a tank in the back. Whoever fitted it did neat little lengths of weld all around the tank cradle, really neat welding. But ... only one weld was to steel as most of the floor is aluminium ! The weight of the tank kept it in place so all the welds looked OK at first glance.

I mean Tig personally, that's what I am slowly learning at the moment. I've git a reasonable handle on stick welding and now I've moved on.

Is MIG more common?

I reckon so, especially in the automotive world.

Yes Mig is most common just like arc or mma. Once you have it set though you just point and shoot, it has an auto feed spool of wire in the machine that is the filler. I've never tried tig so far I keep meaning to get some gas and leads for my thermal arc 185 and have a go. I've heard it's an art form! Good luck you guys who are trying to master the art!!

I know loads of people with MIG machines - which is really the same as stick welding but with autofeed and a gas shield*. I only know one person with a TIG machine.

I have to say I fancy a go at TIG - I've seen it done a couple of times. For one thing, separates the arc from the filler feed which is a problem I seem to have with MIG. My welding is often not much better that the example a few posts back - and I usually end up adding too much material by the time I've put enough heat into a job :oops:

* You can use cored wire for gas-less work. Then it's very much like stick welding with a solid flux that creates the gas shield and/or a liquid barrier when subjected to the heat of the weld. For some reason the polarity needs changing between normal (gas shield) MIG and gasless (cored wire) welding. Some MIG machines, including mine, have the connections arranged so you can swap the earth and snake connections round.

that is awful, the only thing straight and level is the sink.

yeah, but what's the problem.you can see it working, and it is, of course, on a cure all RCD. we hope. anyway, anyone who needs to use hot water to wash hands is a wimp. also. thatpointing is diabollockal. looks like it's been tthown in from next door.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock