Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Back to a pub kitchen I worked in a month or so back. His fryers have overheated the sockets.

It’s a duel fryer… 2 x 3kW I recall, and I told him to plug them into different double sockets.
All good.

This is what met me this morning….

E457782A-6281-4282-A38B-8CE8ED3D7396.jpegCEBB50A8-37AB-4759-B747-D1A7A1F61A38.jpeg

13A fuse is welded into the plug, and has melted the front of the socket. Backside of socket has no signs of heat damage.

Replaced the socket and plug, but it’s likely to happen again.

13A plug should be fine for the fryer but it must be the duration that it’s on for during a weekend shift…
Or could it be down to hot oil splashing the socket?
It’s not dripping in grease here, but there is some residue.

The other half of the fryer doesn’t show overheating to this extent.

I’ll quote for installing 2 x 16A radials for the fryers, and do away with the 13A weak spot being the fuse… but no spare ways… gonna be a new board.

Back to a pub kitchen I worked in a month or so back. His fryers have overheated the sockets.

It’s a duel fryer… 2 x 3kW I recall, and I told him to plug them into different double sockets.
All good.

View attachment 99840View attachment 99841

13A fuse is welded into the plug, and has melted the front of the socket. Backside of socket has no signs of heat damage.

13A plug should be fine for the fryer but it must be the duration that it’s on for during a weekend shift…

I’ll quote for installing 2 x 16A radials for the fryers, and do away with the 13A weak spot being the fuse… but no spare ways… gonna be a new board.

What brand is the socket, and how old is it?

In theory the fryers should be fine on a 13amp plug top as supplied by the manufacture

The fact the plug top is melting could be sign of a cheapo fake plug top ?

The plug top is moulded on, so it came with the fryer.
It might be that the fuse holder itself was loose.

The socket was a volex… now it’s a BG, cos that’s all I had in the van.

All good.

View attachment 99840View attachment 99841

There will always be problems with a 3kw heating/ cooking load fed via a 13amp plug and socket. It's just the constant load causing heat.
Used to get a lot of it with 3 bar electric fires and these days 3kw fan heaters.
This MK one hidden behind a sofa....he thought there was a funny smell when he had his heater belting it out.

socket.jpg

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock