Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doing an EICR and found this. Newish build too at 3yrs old. Owner never had any paperwork prior to today and it’s going to be rented out.

View attachment 100117

Novel way to use a cooker socket for a gas hob igniter. So the gas hob is on a 32a circuit of its own. Plug wired in 6mm

View attachment 100118

Cooker/oven is on its own 16a radial with the fridge.

View attachment 100119
View attachment 100120

The socket is fed in 6mm from the cooker circuit right? And the hob has a plug with a suitable fuse fitted?

The socket is fed in 6mm from the cooker circuit right? And the hob has a plug with a suitable fuse fitted?
The socket is the cooker circuit. It’s had the outlet plate swapped for a single gang.

Yes the plug has a suitable fuse in.

Not saying it’s a problem. Just an odd way of doing it considering that’s how it was done from new.

The socket is the cooker circuit. It’s had the outlet plate swapped for a single gang.

Yes the plug has a suitable fuse in.

Not saying it’s a problem. Just an odd way of doing it considering that’s how it was done from new.

Yep, nothing wrong with that. All the houses on my 1970s built estate were the same, ie. wired with a 30A 6mm circuit to a single 13A socket in the kitchen. The option was given when buying the houses of whether you wanted a cooker switch fitting instead of the socket.

We have our fridge plugged into ours (cooker is gas).

Doing an EICR and found this. Newish build too at 3yrs old. Owner never had any paperwork prior to today and it’s going to be rented out.

View attachment 100117
I think you'll find this is simply the 'ramp' system. You see how it's all B6's then a B32 on the end? The slanted bus bar is so the power can accumulate from left to right to run the higher powered appliance on the 32a breaker. We call it 'upramping' in the 6-week-wonder world.

You have to wonder why the false ceiling was put in anyway, probably a public building that needed either reinforcing for it use above or fire rating, sound proofing, but that still does not explain the off centre light fitting, they went to the trouble of putting in a drop bulkhead to keep the rose exposed, but then why?????????

This is a relic. Not sure what the RCD is supposed to be protecting as not a single thing in the property that I’ve tested so far will cause it to trip at 1 or 5x 🤷🏼‍♂️. Test button works ok though. 😂

I’m aware now it’s a VOELCB and is considered obsolete. Thanks Tim, DPG, Westward and everyone else who replied.

727E225D-15A3-4896-AD87-D027C5FCDB46.jpeg

Then I found this. First time I’ve seen a socket tried to be fixed with blue tack! Guessing they got annoyed and smashed the back box off as it wouldn’t hold. 😂

DCB25915-5596-4F0E-975C-D88711CA1EBF.jpeg

Last edited:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock