Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just use one of the upper or lower 3.5mm plate fixing screws.
Had I known the state I would have planned on a new backbox and maybe tried to space it forward so the normal (as supplied) screws would work. I just happened to have new 5cm ones (bizarrely enough, from another job a year ago where they turned out not to be needed so I left them in with small tools in car) so they did get clean screws as well as a new paint-free switch.

Had I known the state I would have planned on a new backbox and maybe tried to space it forward so the normal (as supplied) screws would work.

You can get extension collars for back boxes in various depths from any good electrical wholesaler, easier to fit than it is to try and remove a backbox without damaging the wall or just opening up a can of worms

Was this ever allowed? Using an earth pipe clamp on the armour of SWA?

This is in the gymnasium I’ve been doing little jobs in. Main bond goes to water pipe… a little too close to a soldered joint for my liking…. Then onto the SWA, then onto a gas pipe.

It wouldn’t be so surprising, but the building was used by an electrical firm before the gym bought it.

The other thing, although I wasn’t working on it, I cannot find the fire alarm panel.
There’s break glasses and sounders, wired in surface red fp… but I can’t trace where they’re going over the ceiling of what was the offices.
Covered in insulation.

Funny thing is, the owner says it passed any fire safety check when he bought it. They must have just looked at the detectors and sounders and assumed there was a panel for it all.
(There is an RCBO in the board marked up for fire alarms)

Attachments

• 1C272197-323E-458F-8317-BB28D0638996.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 69
Was this ever allowed? Using an earth pipe clamp on the armour of SWA?

This is in the gymnasium I’ve been doing little jobs in. Main bond goes to water pipe… a little too close to a soldered joint for my liking…. Then onto the SWA, then onto a gas pipe.

It wouldn’t be so surprising, but the building was used by an electrical firm before the gym bought it.
Looks like a lazy way to bond the pipework
The other thing, although I wasn’t working on it, I cannot find the fire alarm panel.
There’s break glasses and sounders, wired in surface red fp… but I can’t trace where they’re going over the ceiling of what was the offices.
Covered in insulation.

Funny thing is, the owner says it passed any fire safety check when he bought it. They must have just looked at the detectors and sounders and assumed there was a panel for it all.
(There is an RCBO in the board marked up for fire alarms)
It could be an old 240v mains fire alarm, they were quite popular at one time although I've not seen one for many years as most were changed over to operating with a panel, so beware if doing any work on the fire alarm the break glasses may have mains voltage present

I considered a mains operated system but the use of FP200 cable and what I assume are modern automatic detectors probably rules this out.

It could be an old 240v mains fire alarm, they were quite popular at one time although I've not seen one for many years as most were changed over to operating with a panel, so beware if doing any work on the fire alarm the break glasses may have mains voltage present
Here is one of those mains units. Very simple equipment!
FA.jpg

I considered a mains operated system but the use of FP200 cable and what I assume are modern automatic detectors probably rules this out.
Is it FP200 or assumed to be FP200 and the reality is it is FP100 which was a horrible cable which if not terminated with the ferrules quite often failed
It could even be pyro at a quick glance

I’m not there now, but take photos when I next go back.

They are fairly modern call points and sounders, and I only assumed it was fp200 as it certainly wasn’t MICC. Red compression glands into plastic boxes.

I did run my non contact tester along the cable and it wasn’t lighting up… so I expect it’s ELV

Like I said, I wasn’t working on the fire system, so there was no need to shut it off.

I used to go to a youth club thar had been burnt down in an arson attack.
When we eventually got it back completely rebuilt apart from the thick stone walls it had all nice shiny break glass fire points all over.
Problem was non were wired in to any thing.

I did run my non contact tester along the cable and it wasn’t lighting up… so I expect it’s ELV
I think FP200 cable has a foil layer that is in contact with the CPC so I would not expect any electrostatic potential enough to trigger a non-contact probe outside it. You would have to try and some junction where the cores are exposed.

Is it FP200 or assumed to be FP200 and the reality is it is FP100 which was a horrible cable which if not terminated with the ferrules quite often failed
It could even be pyro at a quick glance

It was the original FP200 which used the ferrules to prevent the sharp edge of the foil layer damaging the insulation.

FP100 is single insulated fire-performance cable for use in conduit/trunking.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock