Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wow, you'd expect them to be sorting that out for free as it's their equipment and well past its sell by date !
They'd change the head for free if they'd installed the earth - they clearly hadn't - or someone needed to pull the fuse - like a meter change. But the fee is for providing a PME earth, and fitting an isolator. The head - and the associated work, like digging a hole in the client's front garden - is effectively free

They'd change the head for free if they'd installed the earth - they clearly hadn't - or someone needed to pull the fuse - like a meter change. But the fee is for providing a PME earth, and fitting an isolator. The head - and the associated work, like digging a hole in the client's front garden - is effectively free
Not a bad deal in the grand scheme of things

Today's fun and games. A few interesting period features and no shortage of eyebrow raisers.

1677855739127.jpeg
1677855789362.jpeg
My immediate suspicion about Neutral no 1 was correct:
1677855836765.jpeg

The lighting in double insulated 1-core had more recent CPC's added, and upstairs just about checked out.
Downstairs didn't - only the hall and lobby was giving an R1+R2. All other downstairs lighting had such a large induced voltage (27v) on the separate CPC that the the tester refused to do a continuity test, so there's a missing or broken link. This was also leading to interesting flashing effects of LED bulbs when turned off, lasting minutes in some cases.

Today's fun and games. A few interesting period features and no shortage of eyebrow raisers.

View attachment 106532
View attachment 106533
View attachment 106534

The lighting in double insulated 1-core had more recent CPC's added, and upstairs just about checked out.
Downstairs didn't - only the hall and lobby was giving an R1+R2. All other downstairs lighting had such a large induced voltage (27v) on the separate CPC that the the tester refused to do a continuity test, so there's a missing or broken link. This was also leading to interesting flashing effects of LED bulbs when turned off, lasting minutes in some cases.

What's the white box before the meter?

View attachment 106532
View attachment 106533
View attachment 106534

Is it badly fitted over the top of an older recessed board?

This is one of several properties on the same private estate, There is a substation on site and upstream distribution boards.
It's just an enclosure where the distribution circuit's SWA is badly terminated and the cores pass right through to the meter!
It looks to me like either the owner or Mr do it all has done that work.

Is it badly fitted over the top of an older recessed board?
Yes. It looks like they put in a new kitchen ring when they changed the board, as all other circuits are stranded zinc plated copper.
It looks to me like either the owner or Mr do it all has done that work.
"Mr do it all" who was employed by the owner has just retired after many years tinkering with this installation. After a quick look around I've politely declined to touch anything until the relevant part of the installation has had an 100% EICR. This one was consumer unit 3 out of 12 that are for living accommodation (which we agreed to do first). There are a further 3 identical properties to look forward to!

That's strange because for something so non-compliant it's actually pretty neatly done - the 90 degree bend on the T&E where it goes vertical is very nicely done for example.
I've since wondered whether the switchgear changed and the old arrangement had provision for the lighting circuit.
I need to go back here to take lots of photo's, there's a large transformer / rectifier for a pipe organ below the switched fuse. Behind the photo is the bell rope and a vintage (long broken) electronic bell so someone the other end of the church could signal when to start and stop ringing.

I’m getting itchy just looking at those loft pictures.

8.5kW…. What would you say that supply cable size is? I don’t think it’s 6mm from the photo
My hands were itching for a while after. It is 6mm. I traced the route all the way from the CU to the shower point as I needed to check nothing else had been added to circuit in a random junction box somewhere.

Last edited:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock