Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Call out today as the RCD had tripped and wouldn't stay on. Narrowed it down to a circuit supplying a garden pond pump & shed. Traced the circuit and found this switch with a rather wet wall behind. Wish I had recorded the amount of water that came out when I undid the first screw.

Isolated the switch for now and drilled 2 x 4mm holes in the bottom to stop it filling up again and tripping the RCD. Will be back to put it all into a weather proof enclosure and route the cabling better to stop water tracking into it.

IMG_1034.jpegIMG_1035.jpegIMG_1037.jpegIMG_1036.jpegIMG_1038.jpegIMG_1039.jpeg

I totally agree highly dangerous, it was on a home made extension lead with a 32a socket on the end for 'Welding round the farm' it had packed up with a large pop apparently and took out the sockets mcb.
I told them it had its last welder plugged in and was only good for the scrap bin!

Worked in the (13A) plug on my 180A oil filled arc welder for 30 years without any problems.
Is there a farm that didn't have one of those (Pickhill Bantam is one name I remember) ?
At one of the farms I worked at in my youth, they had need to run one some distance from a socket - so extension lead, and obligatory 1/4" bolts to replace the annoying fuses that would otherwise blow. I wasn't there to see it happen, but I saw it afterwards ...
Fairly decent quality 13A rubber trailing socket and plug - both opened up like a peeled back banana with blobs of brass on the ends of the wires. Of course, this was long before we all carried mobile phones with cameras on them.

Is there a farm that didn't have one of those (Pickhill Bantam is one name I remember) ?
Pickhill Bantam was the blue one, and the other was Oxford, in a tasteful shade of light green metallic.
Mine's now in semi retirement, having been replaced for most things by a Mig, but still comes out occasionally when there's heavy stuff to be welded. Fitted with a blue 32A plug now though, and doesn't trip out a 30mA RCD.

Ah yes, the Oxford.
Weren't some of these oil filled units "a bit dodgy" in that if you mishandled them (no, that would never happen on a farm !) the windings could distort and make the casing(?) or secondary live ?

Ah yes, the Oxford.
Weren't some of these oil filled units "a bit dodgy" in that if you mishandled them (no, that would never happen on a farm !) the windings could distort and make the casing(?) or secondary live ?
Can't remember the details, but mine shorted live to case once. Several bolts around the top to undo, then I lifted the innards out of the oil with an engine crane. Whatever was wrong was obvious, easily sorted and hasn't happened again.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock