Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Probably not
No just a 100A isolator I just said to old matey it's not right but not my name on the cert 😑
Someone needs to buy them at least a little brush for Christmas.

Rcbo + spd boards are cheap, no real reason to not fit one.

There will be 1000s of brand new build houses and flats exactly like this with 10-15 metres of Tails snaking around the fabric of the build in the walls and under the floors. I see it all the time/
No Rcd , No isolator and no way of realistically checking checking if the entire length sits at 50mm+

Code 2 :)

A relative was looking at a new build house and we had a look while they were under construction. Had she gone ahead with the purchase, one of the things I planned to do was ask whichever scam the electricians were in why their members issued falsified certificates of compliance - I spotted 2 without looking, one of which would have been the unprotected tails between where they came through the walls from the fugly box up to where the CU was.

IMO Metre Tails should be visible for inspection from the meter to consumer unit , I really don't like them snaking 10-15mtrs through the fabric of the building up in the walls and in the floor voids. Just seems such a naff design.

Done some investigating this morning to ascertain why the earth reading is so high on the TT system I went to on Friday.

I’m hazarding a guess that this might be why.

IMG_2141.jpeg
IMG_2140.jpeg
IMG_2138.jpeg
IMG_2139.jpeg

That’s the water pipe to the property and they have done that because they couldn’t (or couldn’t be arsed to try to) get a rod in. Will find out shortly if I can or not.

That’s the water pipe to the property and they have done that because they couldn’t (or couldn’t be arsed to try to) get a rod in. Will find out shortly if I can or not.

It must go plastic shortly towards the supply side (or at least non-condictive joint(s) somewhere otherwise it ought to be better. Re-label as pipe bond?

Still, see what a proper rod does, but I guess recent rain so not quite a fair comparison? Other than actually being done right, of course....

So on further investigation. There is approx 2m of copper pipe, then there is alkathene back to the main pipe where the water meter is (house was only finished in Nov last year).

Anyway, after banging in 2 x 2.4m rods I’ve got the reading down to this.

And the Zappi works again.

View attachment 108688
What's in what I assume to be a fused connection unit ? Is that swa in / out or tails ?

This is what the cutout would look like if it were PME/TN-C-S

As you can see from the label it says not to connect the earth unless all the requirements are met. This property is in the middle of nowhere and I’m guessing they couldn’t get the Ze low enough to have PME.

IMG_2166.jpeg

It isn’t. I confirmed with the DNO. There’s no earth connected to the cutout.

In order left to right on the earth terminal are: rod, main cu, PV CU, EV CU.
Do you know what the PSCC was? That sticker normally means PME is fine, but warns you not to just reconnect any old main earth to it without checking it meet the requirement to support the bonds (e.g. 10mm +)

I'm going to make a wild guess here, I think it was an early EV install and whoever did it decided to TT the whole place to make life easier.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock