Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Fire alarm system, thank goodness I didn't have to work on it. only one conduit is bushed into the control panel, 3 have female adaptors but no bush, one is just poked in and has a cable tie around it. The less said about the dangling pcbs the better. fp1.jpg
The conduit to the call point has no fixings other than the female adaptor in the top of the box.
fp2.jpg

Last edited:
Fire alarm system, thank goodness I didn't have to work on it. only one conduit is bused into the control panel, 3 have female adaptors but no bush, one is just poked in and has a cable tie around it. The less said about the dangling pcbs the better. View attachment 110786
The conduit to the call point has no fixings other than the female adaptor in the top of the box.
View attachment 110787
The less said about fire alarm installers, the better.

Shortest route from A to B. Swing out under trunking lid. Notch conduit boxes. Just whatever gets the job done, tools packed up and on the road home at the earliest possible time.

Don't get me wrong; there are some good guys out there, but the good guys are few and far between. Most turn up on site swaggering like the fourth emergency service, suck air through their teeth and then turn out rougher work than most people would think possible.

Most turn up on site swaggering like the fourth emergency service, suck air through their teeth and then turn out rougher work than most people would think possible.
You forgot, hand on chin and slow head shake from side to side, tends to happen with all trades though.

I used to be work in this area and I agree! Though I did more fault finding and rectification than installing.
Several large firms used to sub out installations and getting a good job entirely depended on whether the subbies had high personal standards and were willing to go the extra mile while getting paid a sub-optimal rate for it. A rare few did this regardless, but needless to say this was the exception not the rule. The install usually stayed appalling for the first year until the service team went out for first annual inspection and testing, had a hissy fit, and then one of us would get the call to go and "tidy it up a bit" which often meant doing most of it again much to the irritation of the boss of the service side.
My suggestions that it would be better to keep an eye on the original install fell of deaf ears, and I eventually moved to a much smaller firm, a period I look back on with fondness as the guys were brilliant, teamwork at its best, and high standards.

I just had experience of this yesterday.
Was on my ongoing job at a funeral directors where they’ve built a second mortuary inside the garbage they keep the cars in.
There was a smaller room there before, used for coffin storage, and had a smoke detector in it.

Alarm engineer came, disconnected the detector base, pulled out the cable back to the call point and put the EOL in the call point.

Now the new room has been built, although a little bigger floor area and height, the same engineer turns up to “put the detector back on”

He spent over an hour on the phone to his boss asking if this room actually needed a detector or not…. admitted to me that he didn’t really know the regulations…. And seemed to me like he was swerving the job.
10 to 12m of FP200, a handful of P clips and the old base and detector…

To my mind it’s just as much risk as a storage room. More electrical devices, chemicals… staff will be working in there for some time, not just in and out.

“Oh, it’s an install job now.” teeth sucking noises

You could have had it done the time you’ve been on that bloody phone.

But i was assuming the box was attached to the cpc.
do you think there is a need to bond the pipe, assuming the cable comes into the box double insulated?

Personally i was thinking if the flex was secured inside the back box with a cable clamp then the tube need not be bonded, if it is free to move then i think the tube should be bonded.
but I am open to peoples suggestions.

I just had experience of this yesterday.
Was on my ongoing job at a funeral directors where they’ve built a second mortuary inside the garbage they keep the cars in.
There was a smaller room there before, used for coffin storage, and had a smoke detector in it.

Alarm engineer came, disconnected the detector base, pulled out the cable back to the call point and put the EOL in the call point.

Now the new room has been built, although a little bigger floor area and height, the same engineer turns up to “put the detector back on”

He spent over an hour on the phone to his boss asking if this room actually needed a detector or not…. admitted to me that he didn’t really know the regulations…. And seemed to me like he was swerving the job.
10 to 12m of FP200, a handful of P clips and the old base and detector…

To my mind it’s just as much risk as a storage room. More electrical devices, chemicals… staff will be working in there for some time, not just in and out.

“Oh, it’s an install job now.” teeth sucking noises

You could have had it done the time you’ve been on that bloody phone.

On a related theme, my mate just died who invented the throat lozenge. There was no coffin at his funeral.

I used to be work in this area and I agree! Though I did more fault finding and rectification than installing.
Several large firms used to sub out installations and getting a good job entirely depended on whether the subbies had high personal standards and were willing to go the extra mile while getting paid a sub-optimal rate for it. A rare few did this regardless, but needless to say this was the exception not the rule. The install usually stayed appalling for the first year until the service team went out for first annual inspection and testing, had a hissy fit, and then one of us would get the call to go and "tidy it up a bit" which often meant doing most of it again much to the irritation of the boss of the service side.
My suggestions that it would be better to keep an eye on the original install fell of deaf ears, and I eventually moved to a much smaller firm, a period I look back on with fondness as the guys were brilliant, teamwork at its best, and high standards.

I see them walk in to newly competed buildings, with almost everything done for them, and still leave the place in a mess. To be fair, fire alarm installers are still a few steps above the guys who do intruder alarms. They walk into the same new installation and start work on a spiders web.

And that sheathed cable is connected to a metal clad FCU which is connected to the copper pipe so makes it an accessory point. 411.3.1.1 states this very clearly

If the copper pipe isn't connected to the fcu and isn't an extraneous conductive part and the cable is double insulated, then the pipe isn't an exposed conductive part and wouldn't require bonding.

Shortest route from A to B. Swing out under trunking lid. Notch conduit boxes. Just whatever gets the job done, tools packed up and on the road home at the earliest possible time.

Don't get me wrong; there are some good guys out there, but the good guys are few and far between. Most turn up on site swaggering like the fourth emergency service, suck air through their teeth and then turn out rougher work than most people would think possible.
The few I have seen didn’t have any teeth

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock