Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

View attachment 28495

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

View attachment 28495
Looks fine to me.!!!! But REALLY don’t like the Brown/Cream coloured role of Lino, to the left of photo.!

Newly added data points.
I've seen worse, much much worse !
Went to test the cabling left behind by one tenant when they vacated an office, only found 2 pairs connected but on some it was 12&45, others it was 36&78 (or something like that), but also with pairs swapped so 36&78 might appear on 12&45 on the other end. Plus a few where there was nothing connected according to the tester.
Story was that the previous tenant (also a client of ours) had several offices, when they left, they had their electrician separate the networks so each was separate. No offence intended, but like previous criticism of plumbers and alarm installers, "a few" electricians really shouldn't be let loose with network cabling - especially if they aren't prepared to invest in at least the most basic of test equipment.

So, anyone like to guess what was wrong ?

I've seen worse, much much worse !
Went to test the cabling left behind by one tenant when they vacated an office, only found 2 pairs connected but on some it was 12&45, others it was 36&78 (or something like that), but also with pairs swapped so 36&78 might appear on 12&45 on the other end. Plus a few where there was nothing connected according to the tester.
Story was that the previous tenant (also a client of ours) had several offices, when they left, they had their electrician separate the networks so each was separate. No offence intended, but like previous criticism of plumbers and alarm installers, "a few" electricians really shouldn't be let loose with network cabling - especially if they aren't prepared to invest in at least the most basic of test equipment.

So, anyone like to guess what was wrong ?
One worked to the A standard and the other the B standard.

One worked to the A standard and the other the B standard.
More fun than that - mixing A and B would swap pairs butvstill leave 4 pairs connected. In this case, only 2 pairs were connected between any patch panel socket and wall socket.
Thise who've worked with network cabling for a while will know that the panels have different terminal layouts. This may or may not work ...
Some have the terminals like this :
45 12 36 78
Bl Or Gr Br
Bl Or Gr Br
45 12 36 78
i.e. all the terminals for port 1 are in a line on the top, with those for port 2 in a line at the bottom.
Some have tbe terminals like :
45 12 45 12
Bl Or Bl Or
1 2
Gr Br Gr Br
36 78 36 78

Needless to say, the clueless idiot didn't bother looking at the markings and used the wrong layout. So socket 1 had 2 pairs from port 1 and 2 pairs from port 2. Then socket 2 had the other 2 pairs from ports 1&2 ! And so it went, with the added bonus that none of the cables were numbered and he'd mixed a few of those up as well.
Basically had to pull all the cables off the panel, work out which was which (give the tone set an outing), and reterminate them.

On another occasion, the tenant took their cabinet and were supposed to leave the cabling. Something got lost in translation, as their lecky just chopped the bundle of cables - fortunately, leaving just enough length to re-use them (again, tone set job to work out which was which).

American and British, it doesn't stand for those specifically but it's a good rule of thumb. Everyone use B for British across the board.
I'll remember that - didn't realise it was that simple.
Bought my first RJ45 crimper back in the summer to make up half a dozen cables. All worked first time, except one 40m cable, so I invested in a cheap cable tester recommended in a thread on here. Soon found the problem using that. Master was sequencing 1,2,3...8, while the slave was sequencing 8,7,6...1 - I'd crimped one of the plugs on upside down. Could make out which is was through the translucent plastic of the plug, so five minutes later and one scrap plug, all was good.

I'll remember that - didn't realise it was that simple.
Bought my first RJ45 crimper back in the summer to make up half a dozen cables. All worked first time, except one 40m cable, so I invested in a cheap cable tester recommended in a thread on here. Soon found the problem using that. Master was sequencing 1,2,3...8, while the slave was sequencing 8,7,6...1 - I'd crimped one of the plugs on upside down. Could make out which is was through the translucent plastic of the plug, so five minutes later and one scrap plug, all was good.

I find this to be a decent tester for the price.

Also using through hole wiring plugs makes life easier

... I'd crimped one of the plugs on upside down. Could make out which is was through the translucent plastic of the plug, so five minutes later and one scrap plug, all was good.
You've reminded me of an "incident" from a good few years ago. My employer at the time managed a campus WAN for a science park - each office/unit was pre-wired with a couple of network points, and one was cabled back to a switch port. We could remotely provision internet access just by configuring the port and allocating them an IP address or range.
Unfortunately, wherever you put these sockets, it's going to be in the wrong place for someone - and sure enough, a business moved in but needed the internet connection to their server room the other side of the unit. So one 40m cable and a few lifted floor tiles later, internet provided where it was needed. Only it "didn't work".
We ended up on a 4 way call - me, the people who at the time managed the network for us, the customer's IT guy, and their external IT support. It turned out, the guy "knew" he needed a crossover cable so cut the plug off and fitted a new one wired as a crossover. - neither our switch, nor his firewall had auto MDI (most devices will automatically switch modes as needed these days so crossover cables are rarely needed, this was some time ago).
The customer's IT guy talked him through finding another crossover cable and an inline coupler. The customer said he'd found one and "it's yellow, is that OK ?" His IT guy responded as I'd have loved to ... "I don't f***in care what colour it is as long as it's crossover".
Needless to say, with the extra crossover in line, our "it's not working" service sprang into life. I managed to refrain from "I told you so" (or something to that effect).

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock