Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As I've mentioned previously we do a bit of work for insurance companies that put right council/housing association properties after fires/floods etc. (this one was a fire caused by a weed grow). What we usually find in a lot of council properties in our area is the kitchen (if its still there) has been upgraded recently with a new ring and cooker circuit and RCBO's installed in place of the non protected circuits but usually the original consumer unit remains, usually very badly done. this was todays example doing an EICR.

IMG_20231016_113120_554.jpg

Only a little thing but it took me about two hours to rectify, all because they tried to cram a cooker switch into a 25mm box, couldn't get it back so trimmed the cables down as short as possible. Stuff like this wouldn't normally bother me but we get major grief of the council bods for the slightest thing we do wrong (it might be we put 0.4s in the disconnection box on the cert instead of 5s or fit a 230V 9V backup heat alarm instead of a lithium one) yet the actual dangerous stuff they are totally oblivious to and I come across it time after time.

Yes. Much easier.

Need to be careful with these. I chased down an issue at work recently where these had been used but a few hadn't been cut perfectly flush. Results in them not sitting square and breaks contact.

Also in damp environments they can occasionally get a bit fusty at the bare ends and again make poor contact.

In defence of the LV folk, i started in this trade - and there is an art to it - just like with mains. A caring LV installer will confirm that with enough practice and the right technique its possible to make a sound and easy crimp, first time with traditional RJ45s.

... there is an art to it - just like with mains. A caring LV installer will confirm that with enough practice and the right technique its possible to make a sound and easy crimp, first time with traditional RJ45s.
Indeed. By the time you've done a few hundred, or thousand, it gets easy. At a previous job, we used to get work experience kids from school - I'd show them how it's done, let them do their own (with assistance), and then they could take home their very own patch cable that they'd made. It went down well.
Plus it was easier than explaining all the other stuff I did - without giving away too many secrets.

Earlier this year, solar PV fire... Tripped out the main ryefield fuses back at the origin of supply. Looked into it, solar ac supply was just wired directly into the tails by the meter. Lucky the 90min fire protection of the riser worked!

The client was shouting asking for the building to be re-energised and I refused until further investigation. Took a while to find this mess and came back next day to fault find fully. If anyone had put fuses back in, the solar PV would be straight back into fault.

Attachments

• signal-2023-11-16-13-11-14-458.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 73

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock