Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im guessing that the power coming in is via the furthest right hand side breaker...

That is a special kind of badgers arse consumer unit , that is so bad its actually quite funny
Correct

It is fed from a 32a MCB in the main CU but this is where the right way of doing it stops.
Live is then fed to the far right 32a MCB in this board, with a link back to the RCD, the neutral is direct to the RCD. And every circuit is fed upside down.

Impressive to get it that wrong. ?

View attachment 89126

Surprised everything still operates. Is that some chewing gum they've left on the misplaced bus bar?
I did think that when I first opened it up.
It’s a bit of mortar that’s dropped in the excessive opening at the top.

7DA4179C-9C6B-4B4F-8EF5-5F12084063A7.jpeg
Aside from that is directly exposed, looks like a snake mating ball and needs to be in a wiring centre.

They have cut the earth from the stop cock (just inside the wall to the right) so there is now no earth to any of the pipes in the property. They choc-bloc it into the heating system to give that an earth (I think the plumber might have had a go here). I tested all the pipes I could read with my wander lead and none got anywhere near the 0.05ohm allowance. Lowest I got was 13.6

B6E1D55C-E8F8-4A9F-9FDE-EC27518B8B90.jpeg
But at least they cut the earth off the metal sink/drainer as it wouldn’t have worked anyway. ?

Correct

It is fed from a 32a MCB in the main CU but this is where the right way of doing it stops.
Live is then fed to the far right 32a MCB in this board, with a link back to the RCD, the neutral is direct to the RCD. And every circuit is fed upside down.

Impressive to get it that wrong. ?
I think that's the best one yet or at least for a long while.
That would have made an excellent game of "find the incoming supply". May I steal this photo for training purposes?!
I'd found the live, but still can't totally fathom the Neutral as it looks like the bottom left of the RCD goes straight to the N bar....

My first words when I opened it up where ‘what the actual F!’
I think that's the best one yet or at least for a long while.
That would have made an excellent game of "find the incoming supply". May I steal this photo for training purposes?!
I'd found the live, but still can't totally fathom the Neutral as it looks like the bottom left of the RCD goes straight to the N bar....

Of course, feel free.

I haven't touched that board yet. I've got to go back later in the week. So will fathom out how it is wired.

Property has 2 CU's. Both have 10 circuits. All 20 circuits are not labelled. So I spent 5hrs yesterday playing my favourite game of hunt the circuit for the first CU. Only reason I had the cover off was to see which MCB from the main CU fed that one.

I can't make any sense of that

Looks like the outgoing side is supplying the incoming side of RCD
I think I've got it...it only makes sense if there's a break in the bus bar behind the mortar though.
Otherwise the RCD would trip if the far right breaker that reverse feeds the non-protected half was on.
Special!

1629882943894.png

I reckon it's someone from Europe - over there you feed the tops and the load comes out the bottom.
I have it on good authority from both Legrand and Hager that their MCB's can be used in both directions.

Looking at the gap between the two MCB's below the mortar snot, it would seem the busbar is not continuous as suggested by Tim.

Last edited:
Yeah, new CU. The other immediate thought is max demand / upstream protection given ?6mm incoming conductors. Hope it's SWA. Also might be a 2.5mm in a B32. Anyway, lots to investigate!

Last edited:
I think a new board is a bit extreme, especially if it's not damaged, (can't see the lid) Legrand is a very good quality product, re-wiring of the board is possibly all that is needed.

As a secondary board does it need a main switch, if all the circuits are protected by an RCD? Certainly in Europe the main board would cover that, it is now a requirement not to have a secondary board supplied from an RCD, but from a cut out switch and an RCD in the secondary board.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock