Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

To be fair that boiler installer dresses cables better than most! I thought "this will be easy it will be the obviously messy one". Then spotted the Chinese General breaker.

Called out to replace a faulty 2gang switch. Managed to get to the supply in the dark under the stairs but it took a few moments to fathom out where to isolate the lighting circuit. Built in 1965, original wiring, with various additions, of course.

View attachment 90072

Oh Yes, there it is........

View attachment 90074

Not bad but not a patch on this monkey I found tonight.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 20210915_190337 - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 20210915_190433 - EletriciansForums.net

To me that is an unsheathed MICC which has had the insulation stripped back and the copper covered with tape.

Don't know if there's a fuse or link in the carrier but either way it's iffy as.

View attachment 90086View attachment 90087

To me that is an unsheathed MICC which has had the insulation stripped back and the copper covered with tape.

Don't know if there's a fuse or link in the carrier but either way it's iffy as.
Red and blue tape?? Were they planning ahead with the blue tape or taking a step back in time with the red tape?

View attachment 90086View attachment 90087

Norweb crimp sealed, too. It must have been like that when it was sealed.

It looks a bit weird....like an extra fuse to the left of a 3 phase supply....there's a tail coming into the bottom of it.

Last edited:
Norweb crimp sealed, too. It must have been like that when it was sealed.

It looks a bit weird....like an extra fuse to the left of a 3 phase supply....there's a tail coming into the bottom of it.
I don't think its a tail but a random T&E routing behind.

The MICC is a feed to another cutout on the back of the wall the TP cutout is mounted on.

It's a single phase domestic supply, with its own cutout and meter, looping off of this three phase supply.

I too was left scratching my head how it ever got like that, it's not safe that's for sure so I can't bring myself to believe that's how NorWeb left it.

I don't think its a tail but a random T&E routing behind.

The MICC is a feed to another cutout on the back of the wall the TP cutout is mounted on.

It's a single phase domestic supply, with its own cutout and meter, looping off of this three phase supply.

I too was left scratching my head how it ever got like that, it's not safe that's for sure so I can't bring myself to believe that's how NorWeb left it.
Fair enough. It does look like it, though. Being onsite always clears some things up.

Was that even the original MCB, they never downrated it to a 20 and connected the boiler in ?

Crazy if they did all that
The original CU install was done in 2012 by a clearly competent (or at least neat) installer (though one of the RCDs was labelled Time Delayed, which confused me at first since it isn't.

Originally a 6mm feed to a shower in the bathroom, which was adjusted down to 20A and then 2.5mm connected in a brown junction box in the loft to run to the boiler...

It was clearly a rewire done at the cheapest possible cost at the time - 80s white cabling cut and left, alongside the original 30s fabric singles in metal pipe in places - run over joists in the loft, etc, single sockets replaced at an angle, etc.

CU was neat though!

Fortunately I keep old MK breakers in the van so was able to put a proper 20A in there at least.

Took me longer to retrieve the busbar from the 3 foot drop under the floorboards where it immediately fell when undoing it ? I was there for 15 minutes with a rod and hook like a bloody fairground machine!

Took me longer to retrieve the busbar from the 3 foot drop under the floorboards where it immediately fell when undoing it ? I was there for 15 minutes with a rod and hook like a bloody fairground machine!

that's a good argument in favour of using steel busbars:

1. saves valuable copper resources.
2. you can retrieve a dropped busbar with one of those poundshop telescopic magnets.

The original CU install was done in 2012 by a clearly competent (or at least neat) installer (though one of the RCDs was labelled Time Delayed, which confused me at first since it isn't.

Originally a 6mm feed to a shower in the bathroom, which was adjusted down to 20A and then 2.5mm connected in a brown junction box in the loft to run to the boiler...

It was clearly a rewire done at the cheapest possible cost at the time - 80s white cabling cut and left, alongside the original 30s fabric singles in metal pipe in places - run over joists in the loft, etc, single sockets replaced at an angle, etc.

CU was neat though!

Fortunately I keep old MK breakers in the van so was able to put a proper 20A in there at least.

Don't like that where they downsize the cable and breaker

Bad practice imo

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock