Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes, roofers repairing the roof started the fire when sparks from their grinders showered down on to fabrics inside the building. It was a major incident. 15 fire engines, road closure, railway line closure etc.
I remember them doing for a 4core 35mm with nail gun when they were changing some clear roof panels. Nothing like yours... but it could have been if they'd have done it above the paint mix area.

Yes, roofers repairing the roof started the fire when sparks from their grinders showered down on to fabrics inside the building. It was a major incident. 15 fire engines, road closure, railway line closure etc.
Reason I asked is that I attended a similar situation a few years back.

The destruction was devastating, all caused by heat escaping from a kiln that caused a flat wooden roof to combust. I spent quite a bit of time with the fire investigator to determine if an electrical fault had been initially to blame. It turned out to be a combination of mechanical and operator error, creating a very unusual situation, which in hindsight, could have been avoided but was not pre-empted in the safe working assessment or RAMS.

It was quite interesting being part of the investigation team.

There was a fire near me a few weeks ago at a general engineers. Gutted the rather ancient building they occupy.

As far as cause… I had heard from sources… so take with a pinch of salt… that they had a bonfire going and whoever was told to put it out with water…. Picked up paint thinners instead.

Would have had to be a serious H&S breach there keeping chemicals in unmarked containers, and not secure… but more likely the fire was just too close to old dry wood and the old building.

going back tomy earlier days, we once was burning rubbish behing the store ( Rumbelows). wind blew sparks etc. into outhouse which had polystyrene packing in it. caught light. progressed to old dry timbers, whole shop damaged. end of story, the whole shop was renovated bythe insurers cost about £40k. only a month previous owners had received a quote for £15k to replace woodworm damaged timbers which ended up paid for on the fire insurance. (and i never got even a thanks).

As a side story to the "the building burned down" stories ...
Some time ago a friend of mine was an architect and involved with a major retailer. My friend queried why they weren't fitting sprinklers in the new store she was involved with, to be told that they cost too much in stock damage every time someone knocked a head and let the water out.
Roll forward a relatively short time ... In the space of a couple of months, they had two stores catch fire. Neither had sprinklers, and by the time the fire was put out, there was nothing left but a pile of mangled steelwork that had just collapsed once it got hot enough to lose it's strength.

Cue project to retrofit sprinklers in their other stores ?

going back tomy earlier days, we once was burning rubbish behing the store ( Rumbelows). wind blew sparks etc. into outhouse which had polystyrene packing in it. caught light. progressed to old dry timbers, whole shop damaged. end of story, the whole shop was renovated bythe insurers cost about £40k. only a month previous owners had received a quote for £15k to replace woodworm damaged timbers which ended up paid for on the fire insurance. (and i never got even a thanks).
Still don't know where the 500 smackers in your back pocket came from, then?

Gives me an excuse to repost one of these photos:

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! EE8C70EA-0F80-4488-AD1F-FA09C5745AAD - EletriciansForums.net

my father in laws caravan site, which he sold in 2016 and I’d spent a decade working on.

The cause, again through local gossip-mongers, was an electric heater left on overnight.

Gives me an excuse to repost one of these photos:

View attachment 90285

my father in laws caravan site, which he sold in 2016 and I’d spent a decade working on.

The cause, again through local gossip-mongers, was an electric heater left on overnight.
That's a really big caravan, what do you tow it with?

As a side story to the "the building burned down" stories ...
Some time ago a friend of mine was an architect and involved with a major retailer. My friend queried why they weren't fitting sprinklers in the new store she was involved with, to be told that they cost too much in stock damage every time someone knocked a head and let the water out.
Roll forward a relatively short time ... In the space of a couple of months, they had two stores catch fire. Neither had sprinklers, and by the time the fire was put out, there was nothing left but a pile of mangled steelwork that had just collapsed once it got hot enough to lose it's strength.

Cue project to retrofit sprinklers in their other stores ?
I would have thought sprinklers were perfect for what they do

Is this a problem the heads being knocked ?

I would have thought sprinklers were perfect for what they do

Is this a problem the heads being knocked ?
I know a couple of companies that have sprinklers decommissioned because the insurance was cheaper without them.

stock loss cost and likelihood calculations for accidental activation outweighed the total loss cost vs. the likelihood for a real fire.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock