Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I haven't seen too many fires ,mainly at main boards and metering locations

As a poster alluded to previously , there's usually plenty to worry about in a fire situation than the cabling

I know a couple of companies that have sprinklers decommissioned because the insurance was cheaper without them.

stock loss cost and likelihood calculations for accidental activation outweighed the total loss cost vs. the likelihood for a real fire.
Hmm well that's interesting

I would have thought sprinklers were perfect for what they do
They are - simple, reliable, effective, and relatively low cost.
Is this a problem the heads being knocked ?
The problem is in the stock rooms. All it takes is one careless forklift manouver and you've popped a sprinkler - then water gushes out and all the stock in tne vicinity is damaged. And for good measure, when tbe water flows the fire alarm goes off and you have a load of "annoyed" customers who have to be kicked out.

Surely in those sorts of areas the heads would be installed on the top of the pipe rather than underneath? In ceilings, recessed heads can be fitted that sit flush with the ceiling to prevent damage. These are good for domestic use as well as they are discreet. Sprinkler systems are great. I've been to 3 places that have had fires and sprinklers. In all 3 cases the sprinklers extinguished the fire before it spread beyond the room the fire started.

Ah, but now you are into the realms of "workmanship vs speed/cost". Just like we see much ekectrical work done down to a price, same thing with sprinklers.

And while I don't know what they are, there are rules about how sprinklers must be installed. I recall that our warehouse guys had just finished putting solid shelves on the racking when they were told that it either had to be open (slatted) or they'd have to add sprinklers on each level - they bought in a load of slatted shelves and had a big pile of surplus ply.

shame i binned it. took one of them out the other week, pristine condition. you could have had it for £100. it had "failed" EICR through no RCD.

Found these in one of my old folders, I may of posted them before, but no harm showing them again.
Got called by care in the community person to assess if a property was electrically safe for someone to return too, only had to do a visual, this is how I found it......
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02692.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02693.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02694.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02695.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02696.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02697.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02698.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02699.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02700.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02701.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02702.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02703.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02704.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02705.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! DSC02706.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The décor and red wires in the photo's from @Doomed remind me of a house in Coventry that I'll never forget. I ended up learning a lot about the former occupant as I got to know the family quite well. The guy was a retired RAF engineer, and former safety officer at Alvis and Dunlop works. He'd seen service overseas and been torpedoed/shipwrecked twice. He had a good innings and died aged 91.

He'd apparently (genuinely) been given a Wylex rewireable CU as a birthday present a few years previously but that was where anything standard ended. The house was entirely wired in 6mm red singles because according to his daughter he refused to spend a penny unless required and someone had donated several drums of it to him. (N and Earth were red throughout too). At every fitting there were solder and heat shrink connections to smaller conductors.
In addition there were some incredible inventions throughout the house including a remarkably engineered home made stair lift, curtains that opened and closed on a time clock, and even a crane to lower him into the bath. There were massive anchorages on the walls of the living room with ropes so he could pull himself around. The scene in Home Alone looked quite pathetic compared to his house!

In the back garden was a self-built winch for towing in his caravan powered by a three phase motor. This caused some confusion as the house has a single phase supply. Further investigation revealed a conductor running (apparently by agreement) to next doors shed. There was no 3rd phase connected but I did find a long lead that I think he used to hook it up as required so I reckon he had a deal with another neighbour.

I can only find two photo's from this and neither show the electrics, one was inside his workshop and I also noticed a rather incredible old magazine article which was apparently a Morris or Dunlop works magazine detailing how he had added an extra gearbox into a car to provide more ratios for towing his caravan. This intrigued me so much the daughter kindly later sent me a copy of it.

The guy was clearly an amazing mechanical engineer and obviously knew exactly how it all worked. I bet the occupant of the house in the other photos is a similarly interesting character.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! k0peTqHw - EletriciansForums.netDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 9LskL8RQ - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock