Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I used to see it a lot in conduits for high rise flats local to us but they have been demolished. I have seen it a few times in domestic properties, some extremely bad (such as this case) but not as often. It's strange as the cable in question is well installed, no damp and no thermal insulation covering the cable and the circuit is hardly used as it's a back up to the customers oil boiler!

View attachment 90635
Green goo! Haven't come across this for a while, immersion heater supply, the verdigris was running down the lovely twin and earth cable to the heater and making a right mess!
Ooh, Matron. he's twisted the cps's. Spank him.

It was like that when I started (honest guv'nor)

They were all cut and re-terminated, and a nice bit of 3093 was put in to replace the 1.5 t&e feeding the element! Forgot that picture!!
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20210929_1431409 - EletriciansForums.net

There's a dodgy looking picture down in the DIY forum
Looks like reverse polarity on his main switch, might be worth someone taking a look

There's a dodgy looking picture down in the DIY forum
Looks like reverse polarity on his main switch, might be worth someone taking a look
if that's the one entitled feedback we seen it. looks like a colour blind monkey has attended.

I used to see it a lot in conduits for high rise flats local to us but they have been demolished. I have seen it a few times in domestic properties, some extremely bad (such as this case) but not as often. It's strange as the cable in question is well installed, no damp and no thermal insulation covering the cable and the circuit is hardly used as it's a back up to the customers oil boiler!
Green goo doesn't need damp or load or anything to form, its a straight chemical reaction of early PVC platicicers (spelling) from around the late 60's to mid 70's cables (not all of them). Its one way to date the age of the cable.
Its horrid to touch, smells rank, but unless its gunging up a switch or an MCB harmless (well, as harmless as this sort of thing can be).
The SEC (or whatever they are called now) says 'rewire' if its ever encountered, but all the trade bodies are more relaxed about it saying 'risk assessment'

Having been on a quick fix in factory in Wakefield and on a way home for the night stopped in Maltby because the two way switch wasn't working. Nobody in, downstairs lights MCB off, so I have tested wire coming out of the switch with for continuity against the earth (AC light lit-up), but not enough to Display value and I got a hardly noticeable kick(touch) from the radiator. Apology for the stickers, but as I have went only for a switch I haven't brought the testing (locking )kit or proper condemn stickers.
Strait for the main-switch off and what I have seen when I have looked at fusebox properly:
-There is a case when access for the finger to live bush-bar is not the worse problem by far
-there is a case when 6mm meter tails are not the worse problem even if they are supplying the electric shower on 10mm cable and are connected on 100Amp incomer fuse.
-there is a case when neutral being shared between both lighting circuit is nowhere near the worse problem here. lets see if you spot the largest issue here. (description have hinted it)Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! bezzeme - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
No, think about the radiator kick hint and see what's missing on a picture in That TN system

Disapointed.
you will find no earthing block there, the earth cable from DB just goes arrond it and finishes at the bottom . As the internal wiring has all the bonding in place against the MET in DB testing against the earth connected all pipeworks through the mains tester. As water mains is plastic the earthing necessary for the boiler to light-up must have somehow went via water and neighbours earthing. I wonder if people got kicked when using hot watter on a boiler lighting. It looks like the TNCS was brought in, but earth was newer taken out of PEN. Anything leaking any power to earth simply makes everything connected to earth Live ;-)

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock