Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is that for real?

Look at all the bare live copper showing.
Yep unfortunately it is. It’s part of the light circuit!!

So far I have:

6 x C1’s including the one posted.
13 x C2’s
2 x FI’s

I’ve still got a fair way to go but safe to say the landlord is not happy with the previous inspection. ?

So far I have:

13 x C2’s
2 x FI’s

I’ve still got a fair way to go but safe to say the landlord is not happy with the previous inspection. ?

The letting agency need to be aware of this. I would point out to them that whoever is doing their EICRs is blatantly leaving them open to future court cases.

So far I have:

13 x C2’s
2 x FI’s

Must have been one of those new 'drive by' inspections that I keep reading about...

The letting agency need to be aware of this. I would point out to them that whoever is doing their EICRs is blatantly leaving them open to future court cases.

Must have been one of those new 'drive by' inspections that I keep reading about...

They have already given them a ‘don’t call us we‘ll call you!’ They had their concerns hence asking me to give a second opinion. When I saw the consumer unit was fed direct from the meter via 16mm T&E and it was on a 100A cutout I knew things weren’t going to go well. I phoned the estate agent at that point and said I had only opened the meter cabinet and already graded it unsatisfactory as 16mm T&E is rated at 85A at best. It may well have a 80A fuse inside the cutout. But as I cant pull it to check then I have to go by what it says on the carrier. I calculated the max demand using diversity to be 86.8A so I doubt it’s on a 80a fuse.

Plus it’s a TN-C-S system and the main earth is the 6mm CPC from the 16mm T&E, that and there are exposed single insulated cores going into to the meter.

I guess the last inspection was by ‘Bodgeit & Scarper’ ?

They have already given them a ‘don’t call us we‘ll call you!’ They had their concerns hence asking me to give a second opinion. When I saw the consumer unit was fed direct from the meter via 16mm T&E and it was on a 100A cutout I knew things weren’t going to go well. I phoned the estate agent at that point and said I had only opened the meter cabinet and already graded it unsatisfactory as 16mm T&E is rated at 85A at best. It may well have a 80A fuse inside the cutout. But as I cant pull it to check then I have to go by what it says on the carrier. I calculated the max demand using diversity to be 86.8A so I doubt it’s on a 80a fuse.

Plus it’s a TN-C-S system and the main earth is the 6mm CPC from the 16mm T&E, that and there are exposed single insulated cores going into to the meter.

Could well be an 80A fuse - the house won't draw anywhere near that figure.

Could well be an 80A fuse - the house won't draw anywhere near that figure.
I know. But my experience round here is that if it says 100A it generally is. They usually stick a label on to say 80A.

It’s possible but I can’t confirm without the DNO pulling it for me.

I know. But my experience round here is that if it says 100A it generally is. They usually stick a label on to say 80A.

It’s possible but I can’t confirm without the DNO pulling it for me.
Is it sealed?
If not, says it all.
If so, they've sealed the meter with a 16mm T+E outgoer......is that right?

Joke all round.

They have already given them a ‘don’t call us we‘ll call you!’ They had their concerns hence asking me to give a second opinion.
Out of interest, are Bodgeit & Scarper a member of any of the scams ? If so then 2 things come to mind :
1) It's proof (not that any more was needed) that scam membership is no guarantee of even safe work - let alone good and standards compliant work.
2) It needs reporting and see what happens. My w.a.g. on that would be "s.f.a." ?

So whoever fitted the meter is the one who connected the source end of the 16mm2 T&E?? Word fail me!
Incidentally, I used to do the odd new build for a local building firm, and when they paid me, the cheques were genuinely in the name of Bodgeit & Scarper.

So whoever fitted the meter is the one who connected the source end of the 16mm2 T&E?? Word fail me!
Incidentally, I used to do the odd new build for a local building firm, and when they paid me, the cheques were genuinely in the name of Bodgeit & Scarper.

It would appear so. Although I’m not overly convinced this has been done by the DNO.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! C5FBA638-9292-4F4F-B627-ABAD537AFA89 - EletriciansForums.net

Then again this is the state of the service cables. ??‍♂️

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! A71A3651-2446-4687-A777-A50EC4F570D0 - EletriciansForums.net

Service cable looks like the work of whoever fitted the uPVC soffit and barge boards.
If the meter has the correct seal on it and it hasn't been tampered with, then it must have been the meter installer, unless the T&E is wedged in with matchsticks.

There is an entire housing estate near me (I think built around 1985/1990 ish) wired in exactly the same way as the above picture, 10mm twin and earth connected to the meter which then snakes up through the cavity to the consumer unit. I have worked on dozens of these houses and all are wired in twin n earth from the meter to the board. So can only assume this was the original design and connected by the DNO like this

That's not rodent damage. That's wires that have been stripped with a pen knife. Rodent damage on a red wire might be in several places, but usually stops with just a minute amount of copper showing at each site, as the wire bites back, and the rodent decides it's not a good idea.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock