Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

One I saw today, client lost the cover about 5 years ago.

This fella is truly unbelievable.

After testing I told the client aka idiot that there are so many faults that I need to leave some circuits disconnected and would return as there is no way i can finish this in the time slot i allowed to do the job.

To give you some idea there were 2 more CUs one for the kitchen and one for an extension that his daughter lives in I told him there was no need especially for the daughter's as it was one radial and one lighting circuit and that i would also look at getting rid of the kitchen CU as i now had space to combine them in one CU hence the need get some more rcbos.

Also, when testing the ring there were no ends to ends except for the line, but that was coming out on one of the other CUs.

So disconnected that part, temporarily downgraded the rcbo etc and said I would return.

I text him today saying that I have the bits and would return tomorrow, get a reply saying this:

"I've got some rcbos the same as, so the box now done, the other Cu is gone I just need a contact fuse that 16mm, cheers"

I find out that he's done all the wiring himself over the years, and it's a renter the landlord has been wanting an eicr on the place, no mention of payment either.

Something really unusual has happened to me and that Is Ive been left speechless. 😬

This fella is truly unbelievable.

After testing I told the client aka idiot that there are so many faults that I need to leave some circuits disconnected and would return as there is no way i can finish this in the time slot i allowed to do the job.

To give you some idea there were 2 more CUs one for the kitchen and one for an extension that his daughter lives in I told him there was no need especially for the daughter's as it was one radial and one lighting circuit and that i would also look at getting rid of the kitchen CU as i now had space to combine them in one CU hence the need get some more rcbos.

Also, when testing the ring there were no ends to ends except for the line, but that was coming out on one of the other CUs.

So disconnected that part, temporarily downgraded the rcbo etc and said I would return.

I text him today saying that I have the bits and would return tomorrow, get a reply saying this:

"I've got some rcbos the same as, so the box now done, the other Cu is gone I just need a contact fuse that 16mm, cheers"

I find out that he's done all the wiring himself over the years, and it's a renter the landlord has been wanting an eicr on the place, no mention of payment either.

Something really unusual has happened to me and that Is Ive been left speechless. 😬

I do love trying to fix DIY jobs! I'd tell the landlord the price will be double. Half to conduct the work and half because you've had to fix stupid!

I do love trying to fix DIY jobs! I'd tell the landlord the price will be double. Half to conduct the work and half because you've had to fix stupid!
It wasn't the landlord that hired me it was this idiot I only found out it's a renter through someone else.

I won't be going back, that's for sure, but I'm around £400 down.

I thought I'd been caught out in a similar way recently, found out half way through a pig of an EICR that he was renting the place.
There were so many issues it wasn't worth continuing with it anyway.
Gave up went home and asked him to get the landlord to contact me. I nearly fell over when he did and gave the go ahead for a rewire.
My spider senses got it all wrong on that one. 🤣

As part of a quick 'refurb' (ie changing socket fronts) for a client, I did what I thought would be a simple extend surface socket (on RFC) from skirting up to flush in wall above.

Tugged the cables to get extra length, and this appeared from beneath the floor:

View attachment 99151

View attachment 99152

Not only were the wires just twisted together and taped over, they also managed to add the two new cables feeding the socket as a figure of 8 from the existing RFC🤦‍♂️

Just goes to show - would not have been detected by testing when I get to changing the board, unless I'd done a ring continuity test at this specific socket, which would have been 0.001 I'd guess...

R1+R2 might have been a little different than on the rest of the ring, but likely not enough to throw up a concern.
At least it was a maintenance free junction!😆

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock