Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hmm that's a creative way of fixing a group of lighting tracks. Hopefully the wiring has been installed a bit more professionally.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! track1 - EletriciansForums.net

Oh, well I'm sure the supply connection will be better.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! Track2 - EletriciansForums.net

Oh.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! track3 - EletriciansForums.net

Also from the same place:
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! spur - EletriciansForums.net
At least the switch is off.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! cable - EletriciansForums.net
Probably been there a while.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! MH - EletriciansForums.net
I have no words. (Except WTF)

Probably been there a while.

Ooh R/W/B cable.... If you pull this out and it's more than a couple of feet, I'll pay you to send it over for the museum. Keep failing to secure any reasonable lengths of R/W/B.

“Hi, wondering if you can help. Just moved into the property and every time we turn on any of the lights the electric trips.”

Hmm. I can’t think why! Can any of you more knowledgeable folk hazard a guess? 🤔🙄🤦🏼‍♂️

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 1FC909D1-AE0A-4B79-AEDF-909AC22868E3 - EletriciansForums.net
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 51E09E11-9063-4DF4-8C78-F26BC9440D57 - EletriciansForums.net
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 62F19096-0670-4389-BD8D-4E0731EB6D3F - EletriciansForums.net

I’ve not even started on the rest of the place. Asked if they had a EICR done as part of the sale. Apparently one was done and came back as satisfactory.

So I’ve said they need to send these images to the solicitors and ask for their money back. Then I’ll come and do a proper EICR, which I’ve already pointed out a number of issues which make it unsatisfactory. 😂

I don't know what I'd have done in your situation. As that's only a 60947-3 isolator the meter tails are effectively extended all the way to the EVCP....!
I told them not to use the charge point and to get on to the installer as they should be given the chance to rectify.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if a fault occurred and his charge point and/or car went up.

“Hi, wondering if you can help. Just moved into the property and every time we turn on any of the lights the electric trips.”

Hmm. I can’t think why! Can any of you more knowledgeable folk hazard a guess? 🤔🙄🤦🏼‍♂️

View attachment 102067
View attachment 102069
View attachment 102068

I’ve not even started on the rest of the place. Asked if they had a EICR done as part of the sale. Apparently one was done and came back as satisfactory.

So I’ve said they need to send these images to the solicitors and ask for their money back. Then I’ll come and do a proper EICR, which I’ve already pointed out a number of issues which make it unsatisfactory. 😂
I've looked at this for hours and can't think of a reason.
Maybe a faulty Rcd ? 😎

Not a dodgy trade. But more a Cupid stunt in the property.

Let’s just use sellotape to keep a circuit on that keeps switching off. 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

View attachment 102247
That is absolutely terrible, everyone knows you should use Gaffa tape as it's much more sticky.

One strange thing though is the Shed mcb looks to be the most stressed, and it's been left out, also wonder why all three ?

That is absolutely terrible, everyone knows you should use Gaffa tape as it's much more sticky.

One strange thing though is the Shed mcb looks to be the most stressed, and it's been left out, also wonder why all three ?
It was only the middle one (sockets) which was faulty and it was a faulty MCB.

Tested the circuit and it’s all fine. I can only assume the tape was over all three due to its size. 🤷🏼

I wouldn’t mind but I went for non working underfloor heating. Which was also due to a duff fused spur.

It was only the middle one (sockets) which was faulty and it was a faulty MCB.

Tested the circuit and it’s all fine. I can only assume the tape was over all three due to its size. 🤷🏼

I wouldn’t mind but I went for non working underfloor heating. Which was also due to a duff fused spur.
What about the shed one that looks like it's been cooked ?

Earlier today customer says can you look at an outside light that hasn't worked for some time, problem being it's quite high up near the apex on a 2-storey house, No problem I say whilst grinding my teeth as it's also peeing down, get up there thinking It's probably just a bulb, change bulb ask them to try it, reply is ohh I don't know where the switch is.
Come down cant find switch, end up in attic. Turns out it's never been wired. 😩

It’s not. It’s just dirty. I thought it had too when I first looked at it. But there’s only a light and unused socket in the shed.

I replaced the faulty MCB and had a look at the others. Rest are fine.
From the pic, it looks like it has a piece missing out of the bottom.

Had a call Saturday afternoon just as I was about to go home from a friend of mine saying that he's lost power to his boiler and outbuilding /Sun room.
He tells me that he's checked at the CU for anything tripped and also checked the fuse in FCU at the boiler.

I ask if he's got any sort of multimeter etc, he says no (although this fella is a mobile locksmith and I would have expected him to have something).

After being on the phone for 20 mins and him having the lid off the Cu it's decided that I go and look as he's got his freezer in the outbuilding and also some pump in a tank that's not working either.

Problem for me is that he lives well into the country, and it's almost a 100-mile round trip on a lot of single country lanes.
I debate whether to go home and take the car and also risk having to tell the missus face to face that we won't be going into town or to go now in the van.

The telling the missus face to face was the deciding factor in not taking the car.

So after a Text message to her indoors, off I set.
Slow progress it seems like every farmer in their tractors are out and about, but after a quick stop at a fuel station that sells Costa coffee and Cornish pasties I'm not feeling too bad.

On the way, brain is ticking over thinking what it could be as I've asked him things like is it a Swa cable to the out building etc.

Half way there I get a text from him with very accurate directions as he says the sat nav may get it wrong OK, no prob.

After a little while, I look at the sat nav, and it says 10 miles to go.

Then the dreaded happens he phones me I think I've found the problem, a fuse has gone in a Fcu a 5amp one it was in the airing cupboard upstairs.
I say it can't be that because you said the outbuilding is dead he said I haven't replaced the fuse yet, but it's definitely gone as I put it in another FCU for the cooker hood to try it and the hood doesnt work with that fuse.

Ok well I'm almost there now.

Get there Straight to the Cu split load neatly done, all good 16 amp MCB feed to heating boiler fine.
Boiler FCU which is in airing cupboard fuse blown.

I said what happened when the power went, he says it went when I plugged a hoover in the outbuilding.

Ok to the outbuilding we go Clock the isolator on the wall 1.5 swa feeding a pump for some tank (septic I think but wasn't interested)

In the outbuilding, CU Swa feed in is 2.5 Swa RCD /16 amp / 6 amp Feed is dead.

2 DBL sockets and a few LED lights

Where does it get the feed from, I ask ? From the pump, he says.

Where does the pump get its supply from because there is no Swa out of the CU.

Don't know, he says,

Who connected the Outbuilding ? Electrician I paid him cash, and he connected to the 1.5 swa ? yes, he said, not knowing where that supply was from ? Yes.

Turns out the original owner connected the pump off the boiler supply to the tank pump.

So the 5 amp Fcu feeds boiler, pump, and a fair sized outbuilding.

I put a 13amp fuse in the FCU and told him I'm off home.

Still, it was better than going shopping.

Last edited:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock