Discuss Dodgy wiring advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jonnym

Hello I’m not an electrician but have worked with electricians and in developments undergoing full rewires. When my friend asked me to look at the wiring British Gas had done I was shocked.

It is the main feed into her flat and before the fuse box and meter.

Please see photos (sorry camera phone in a dark cupboard)

It would seem for some reason the service head is in her flat, the electrician has bypassed the fused service head and fed the red live directly to the meter, using a junction box free dangling inside her cupboard, while still using part of the service head to join the neutral black cable, but without the cover on …just using black insulation tap over the whole box, which is falling off.

He hasn’t replaced the fuse anywhere on the system as we checked in the downstairs service cupboard

The problem arose when the main fuse got so hot it melted a picnic hamper lining resting on it, the electrician who did the work said I’m going to have to bodge it as it needs major works you will have to pay for and open up a whole can of worms which will leave you and other flats with out electricity.

Even to an untrained eye he had left it in a dangerous state, but what should we do now??

Thanks for your help

Jon

Attachments

• Dodgy wiring advice image_00001 - EletriciansForums.net
    image_00001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Dodgy wiring advice image_00002 - EletriciansForums.net
    image_00002.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Dodgy wiring advice image_00003 - EletriciansForums.net
    image_00003.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 111
  • Dodgy wiring advice image_00004 - EletriciansForums.net
    image_00004.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 100
look in the front of your local yellow pages under the heading help in a hurry you will find a call out number for the local energy supplier i think you are within your rights to have this put right asap. as for the person that did this if i was his supervisor i would be dragging his --- in the office and give it a good kicking.

As its in a 1920s mansion style block of flats, who would be responsible for the repair cost?

The wiring coming into the flat does look to be from the 1920s, material covered cable.

Crikey! Get them out to that ASAP - I want to know why the service fuse was getting so hot to melt a picnic hamper (not that the cupboard should be full of crap) - cost is not something I would worry about - near me in Stockport/Manchester area the board will change the cut-out free of charge! I also recommend you get a new CU or at least a pir report.

She has just sent me the pre call out images... Im not sure quite what to say!!!

Dodgy wiring advice {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Dodgy wiring advice {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Nice, was that exposed before or just for the photo.:( Earth clamps must be expensive round your parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Just act on it as soon as possible, it shouldn't have been left like that - there is no excuse! :mad:

The so called spark should be shot!!

That’s what it has been like for years.

My biggest question would be who has done it?

An Electrician put in a new RCD fuse box and said he wouldn’t even touch anything that side of the meter…but he should have advised the owner or reported it surely.

The new meter should never have been attached to an open box with no front on it regardless of insulation tape, and finally British Gas should not have left her it in such a poor state.

I think it’s a sad day when so many “professionals” can see something like that and not do anything about it.

Thanks for your help
Jon

this should be repaired at no cost to you as it is on the suppliers side it is there responsability to maintain there equipment so it remains in a safe condition.

if they erm and are about it threaten them with hse and watchdog etc. cos none of them like bad publicity

Last edited by a moderator:
As its in a 1920s mansion style block of flats, who would be responsible for the repair cost?

The wiring coming into the flat does look to be from the 1920s, material covered cable.

Wiring looks to be about 30yrs old.Surely the resposibility lies with the owner of the infrastruture,not necessarily british gas,to whom you pay your bill,but LEB.As its all stuff before the meter.
Just a point of order here,the electrician did not bypass the service fuse when he was doing his temporary repair,the grey enclosure IS the new fuse carrier. But I would totally agree that it shouldn't have been left like that for more than a couple of days,and suitable temporary barriers should have been put in place untill the cable could be fixed or replaced. Preferably not a picnic hamper. Perhaps you have someone responsible for the common areas in the building,eg Landlord who you could approach to asertain ownership.

Very sad indeed, I would have called up the supplier my self and insisted on an immediate call out and waited with the client. How many more like this??? Crikey!

Contact the Regional Electricity Company this is not always the same people you get you bill from.

This type of cutout (metal case) is now illegal.....

I dont think the casing is illegal, but from memory, they used to use these years ago where it also housed a fuse in the neutral, which IS now a big no no.

I dont think the casing is illegal, but from memory, they used to use these years ago where it also housed a fuse in the neutral, which IS now a big no no.

The ones I've seen had a neutral LINK not a fuse,but it did fit inside a sort of fuseholder so I can see why you could think that.Unless the ones you loked at were once supplied with D.C. The last one I came accross,a few years ago,I had to install a 10mmearth, from the screen on THEIR cable,a 10mm earth to THEIR caseing,and the guy from the lecky board said I had to install an earth spike as well.After I'd done all this(and the family remained without lecky for another day)the next day they sent a different guy out and by the time I got to the job he'd PME'd it,putting a link in from his neutral to the met,converting it from TN-S.(so I was able to put my 100ma rcd back in my pocket)

Reply to Dodgy wiring advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock