Discuss Does 1mm SWA exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
I was on a domestic site the other day in the pitch dark, surveying for a customer who has a skinny 4 core SWA laid to their shed already and now wants a 13A socket. It was not possible to make out the cable embossed markings since they were underground, but my vernier caliper on a single strand (7 strands per core) made it much closer to 1mm^2 (0.426mm dia) than 1.5mm^2. (0.522mm) (The difference per strand being is only < 0.01mm).

So..1mm SWA. I can't find anyone listing it, - does it exist?

If not, I might assume this is 1.5mm and -it was my semi-frozen calipers which were the problem.

Out of interest, in respect of CSA of conductors do the measurements actually relate to the real CSA of the conductor i.e. as pi r 2 or are they more closely related to the diameter?

Out of interest, in respect of CSA of conductors do the measurements actually relate to the real CSA of the conductor i.e. as pi r 2 or are they more closely related to the diameter?
You are not making your question clear Alan. Care to re-phrase? (There are normally seven conductors in the stranded cables we use. Measure diameter of one, work out CSA. You did that at school)

When a conductor is referred to as 1mm square is that based on the actual circular CSA of the conductor or is it based on the cable being 1 mm in diameter?

Thought it was Cross Sectional Area which should be a constant as per calculations. If that is the case I would have thought 1mm square CSA conductor would have a diameter slightly wider than 1mm.

Thought it was Cross Sectional Area which should be a constant as per calculations. If that is the case I would have thought 1mm square CSA conductor would have a diameter slightly wider than 1mm.
Alan. I can see you are having some problems, so perhaps people are not being clear, but it's VERY important you understand it, so here you are:
1MM^2 cross sectional area.
Now for a solid 1mm conductor, 1 = Pi *r^2. -So what is r?
r = sqrt (1/Pi) = 0.564mm, hence D = 1.13mm .
In this example, there would be seven stranded conductors in each core (we are talking SWA which doesn't have solid cores), making up the 1mm^2.
Hence 1/7 = Pi *r^2 and r = sqrt(1/(7*Pi)) = 0.213mm.
Making the diameter to measure with your vernier/micrometer = 0.426mm per strand.
It turns out hat 1mm SWA doesn't seem to exist.. so 1.5mm SWA has a single strand 0.522mm diameter.

Thanks 1Justin. You've answered my question above by showing the calculation for a 1mm CSA cable and it's diameter being slightly over 1mm. All I was interested in re the OP's original post was the fact that it was mentioned that the diameter of the conductors were actually being measured.

Measuring CSA of wire, especially stranded is always tricky and highly prone to inaccuracy even with a vernier. Rather firstly establish that the conductors are copper then take a known length (longer the better) and measure the resistance, then compare the ohms/meter with one of the charts published by respectable cable manufacturers.

I've worked in a lot of countries and I've never seen SWA manufactured in 1mm. 1.5 mm is the smallest.

Reply to Does 1mm SWA exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net