Discuss does 2392 allow periodic inspections? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

partp

Hi Chaps.
I know that if you are qualified as a 'domestic installer', although you can do installation work and issue certificates, you are still not qualified to do 'Periodic Inspections' on 'dwellings' unless you also have 2391..
But how about 2392? does this also qualify you to do 'Periodic Inspections' or do you still need 2391 to do them?..

Hi, .. well I was told when I did my EAL VRQ that It classifies me as 'competent' to do just about anything associateed with 'dwellings'.. and once registered with a regulatory body I can certify my own 'notifiable' work directly without having to go through the Building Control Office.. but I was also told that this doesnt include Periodic Inspections, and that I would still need to do 2391 before I can issue a Periodic Inspection Report..?? so I was just wondering whether a 2392 also qualifies you for that or if it has to be just the 2391?

AFAIK you dont have to be with any regulatory body to carry out a PIR....might be wrong though

I can see this turning into an interesting thread and the NIC is gonna get battered:D

my exam centre where i did my eal course told me i could extend this and add that, and do a rewire etc, but they told me i couldn do a new build? why? if you can work out everything to do with a new circuit you can work out another 8 circuits etc

sounds like there trying to get some more dosh out of ya. if you wanted to do PIR's under the umbrella of a scheme provider then you may need 2391, and be registered as approved with them (i think??)

but if youre competent and can fill the paperwork out and legally sign it then think your ok.

rich

I think the NIC only allow approved contractors to do PIR's using NIC forms etc so thats prob what they meant as you would need 2391 to gain approved contractor status.

But that is NIC, and generic paperwork is avaliable

As far as Im aware you can do a new build with the EAL VRQ.. but not sure if your allowed to sign the Initial Verification Cert for it though without Building Control being involved..?? although.. like the Periodic Inspection Report.. I cant see why not if you're signed with a regulatory body??

Ah.. Cheers monty that makes a lot of sense, That would mean that Its just at the discretion of your regulatory body rather than a statutory requirement to get the extra quals...
I think that about clears it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
A PIR itself is'nt notifiable so a regulatory body or BC will not need to get involved, problem comes when the customer specifies that it has to be a NIC PIR (which they should'nt be able to do IMO)

you do have to have 2391 to add periodics to your nic enrolement you allso have to pay another £300 or so for the periodic registration fee you allso have to have indemnity insurance of £1.5 million,or you can just do them anyway and issue the green certs(some orgs wont accept).

2392 only allows you to carry out initials, on your own work. To do periodics you need 2391. 2392 is a stepping stone qualification working towards the 2391. It was brought in (i think) in an attempt to mask the very low pass rate of the 2391 (somewhere in the region of 30% nationally).

you dont, you just need 2391 if you wanna do periodics under a scheme provider, otherwise if your not with a scheme provider and havnt done 2391 then so long as you are competent then you can do them, your still signing it and your still binding yourself to that document.

.. so to sum up so far.. 2391 is not in anyway a legal requirement for doing PIRs, but if you want to register the documentaion with your Regulatory Body, then 2391 is generally a requirement that the various regulatory bodies insist upon before they allow their members to register PIR documentation with them..
... any advances on this??

So who normally asks for the PIR to be registered to your governing body....Is it typically Insurance companies, local building control, landlords etc....?????

When you say 'governing body' do you mean Building Control or one of the regulatory self cert scheme bodies?
If you mean a self cert scheme such as elecsa, nicie, napit etc, then if you are registered with one, (which isnt compulsory..) then they will expect you to send them copies of all the certificates that you issue to customers, but remember that the PIR is not notifiable work so although your self cert scheme body may want a copy of it.. it doesnt need to be given to your Building Control authority anyway.
Its usually insurance companies or estate agents who ask for the PIR. some of these, in fact.. probably most of these will tell their customers that the PIR needs to be done by a NIC registered competent person. But remember.. this is just their preference as their is no legal obligation for this. infact, from what I can gather so far, anyone who meets the 'competent person' criteria' is qualified to issue a valid, legitimate PIR. whether or not an insurance co or estate agent cjosses to accept it without the inspector having NIC membership is completely up to them.

My understanding is that all that is legally required of a person undertaking a P.I.R. for an Electrical Installaion is that they are competent. Possesion of the City & Guilds 2391 satisfies that need to prove competence but is not the only means.

kind of but the emphasis on the 2391 prooving competence is not striclty true, you need the 2391 to join a scheme provider and to do a PIR through a scheme provider.
If you are competent you can do a pir, reagrdless of your qualifications

Reply to does 2392 allow periodic inspections? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock