Discuss Does 2394 / 2395 count as a "Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and ....." in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TheBrick

...ensuring compliance of electrical installation work in dwellings?

To me it should as it should allow you to verify all non HV installations but I'm not overly clear being as I know from the sticky IEC link there is also a specific C&G 2397 and a ELA course going by that as a full name?

My background and plans:

I took 2230 L2 about 4 years ago (evenings as a mature student) but didn't do the L3 the following year as i) I wasn't working in installation as expected so would have not been able to turn into a NVQ ii) I knew most of the theory anyway from from my background working in / with engineering so little point doing it for the knowledge. At the same time I did my C&G 2382, one of the last to do the Red book.

Since then I have worked for a company that makes simulators and machinery. I was initially hired primarily to work on the programming side but because of my knowledge and practical skills ended up working a more and more in the factory side as well doing fault finding for the wiremen, PLC programming, helping out on installations, single and 3 phase verification, VFDs, hydraulic, pneumatics, some specification (data and power) when the CEng was not around and correcting the CEng when he was;). Trying to encourage the company to do more of a structured testing routine for electrical safety, functional safety e.t.c

Now I'm looking on going alone, aiming for industrial control systems, PLC programming e.t.c. end of things. I want to update by BS7671 knowledge by doing an update course and also 2394/2395 so I can offer a more complete package. I don't really have an interest in doing domestic dwellings but when starting out I'd like to have the option to do small jobs to keep some money coming in hence the consideration if does the C&G 2394 / 2395 count as a "Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and ...... bla bla bla.

If you read all that thanks for lasting that long!

Re: Does 2394 / 2395 count as a "Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and .....

To me it should as it should allow you to verify all non HV installations but I'm not overly clear being as I know from the sticky IEC link there is also a specific C&G 2397 and a ELA course going by that as a full name?

My background and plans:

I took 2230 L2 about 4 years ago (evenings as a mature student) but didn't do the L3 the following year as i) I wasn't working in installation as expected so would have not been able to turn into a NVQ ii) I knew most of the theory anyway from from my background working in / with engineering so little point doing it for the knowledge. At the same time I did my C&G 2382, one of the last to do the Red book.

Since then I have worked for a company that makes simulators and machinery. I was initially hired primarily to work on the programming side but because of my knowledge and practical skills ended up working a more and more in the factory side as well doing fault finding for the wiremen, PLC programming, helping out on installations, single and 3 phase verification, VFDs, hydraulic, pneumatics, some specification (data and power) when the CEng was not around and correcting the CEng when he was;). Trying to encourage the company to do more of a structured testing routine for electrical safety, functional safety e.t.c

Now I'm looking on going alone, aiming for industrial control systems, PLC programming e.t.c. end of things. I want to update by BS7671 knowledge by doing an update course and also 2394/2395 so I can offer a more complete package. I don't really have an interest in doing domestic dwellings but when starting out I'd like to have the option to do small jobs to keep some money coming in hence the consideration if does the C&G 2394 / 2395 count as a "Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and ...... bla bla bla.

If you take a look at the C&G website against the 2394 or 2395 course information, they are both level 3 qualifications. You might find this City & Guilds courses: an introduction - IET Electrical link useful, courtesy of ian.settle1 who posted it in a 'stickied' thread at the top of this section.

Re: Does 2394 / 2395 count as a "Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and .....

My background and plans:

No basically, 2394 is initial verification and 2395 is periodic inspection. You will be missing an installation qualification such as 2356 or 2357. You may be eligible for the 2356-99 if you can prove 5 years working in the industry. Im not sure about the 2397 and if it is accepted as a standalone qual to register with a CPS.

If you take a look at the C&G website against the 2394 or 2395 course information, they are both level 3 qualifications. You might find this City & Guilds courses: an introduction - IET Electrical link useful, courtesy of ian.settle1 who posted it in a 'stickied' thread at the top of this section.

Thanks that is the link I had taken a look at and where the confusion 1st arose. As I consider that the ability to "Install, test and ensuring compliance of electrical installation work in dwellings" as a subset of being able to test and inspect all installations.

No basically, 2394 is initial verification and 2395 is periodic inspection. You will be missing an installation qualification such as 2356 or 2357. You may be eligible for the 2356-99 if you can prove 5 years working in the industry. Im not sure about the 2397 and if it is accepted as a standalone qual to register with a CPS.

Thanks for the clarification, I see the subtitle difference. Looks like a certain amount of duplication, especially when I look at the L3 2230 a few years ago the only installation part was testing and inspection. A bit like when I did my Class C licence allowing me to drive a 20 ton fix wheelbase lorry but then find I have to take a B+E if I want to drive my van with a trailer! There are differences but if you are driving correctly to class C standards B+E should follow.

Yeah it is. I have no problem doing some more courses as I've only been doing some basic T&I (Zs, insulation, phase orientation, physical condition, cable sizing double checking e.t.c), I have more to learn I just obviously don't want to waste time and money doing a course where 80+% of the content would be duplicated in the 2394/2395 courses!

Cool chopper BTW! Met a guy in Oklahoma with V8 3 L one like that! Crazy bikes!

As far as I'm aware, one is for initial verification and the other is for inspecting existing installations.

C&G 2394-01 Level 3 award in initial verification of Electrical Installations.

C&G 2395-01. Level 3 award in periodic inspection testing and certification of electrical installations.

C&G 2392-15. Level 3 award BS7671 (2008) 2015 inc Amd 3, Requirements for electrical installations. (17th edition to you and me.)

C&G 2377-32 level 3 award In service inspection and testing of electrical equipment. (Pat testing to us)

C&G 2377-33 level 3 award. Management of maintenance of electrical equipment (The paperwork qual for Pat testing)

These are the titles give to these courses. read into it what you will.

EAL have the same titles as well.

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to Does 2394 / 2395 count as a "Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and ....." in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net