Discuss Does a 13A plug in oven need to be wired into a cooker switch in rental properties ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As far as i know, in Scotland anyway, there is no such requirement. If the manufacturers fit a plug and say it's to be plugged in, that's the way to go.
Indeed, for non-electrically minded landlords who have a hands-on approach, many prefer the plug-in option for all appliances, such as cookers,hobs,washing machine, dishwasher etc as it makes swapping out a faulty appliance quick and easy with less hassle for landlord and tenant alike. It makes ISITEE simpler too.

As far as i know, in Scotland anyway, there is no such requirement. If the manufacturers fit a plug and say it's to be plugged in, that's the way to go.
Indeed, for non-electrically minded landlords who have a hands-on approach, many prefer the plug-in option for all appliances, such as cookers,hobs,washing machine, dishwasher etc as it makes swapping out a faulty appliance quick and easy with less hassle for landlord and tenant alike. It makes ISITEE simpler too.
would not be appropriate for anchors.you'd lose so many you'd be adrift on a lee shore. every pirate's nightmare.

Certainly not appropriate for anchors, Tel! Plug-in anchor and chain is bound to fail, so I always make off the bitter end into a SFCU. This is not only more resistant to "pull" than a plug in a socket, but it means that as the anchor chain goes over a metal roller in the bow, and the forestay is connected to the roller housing, then in an electrical storm, if lightning strikes the rigging, it is diverted to the sea, shivering, but not charring, my timbers...
As for Lee Shore? Indeed, every seagoing man's nightmare...I should know...I went out with her once, in Portsmouth!

If you cut the plug off some appliances it voids the warranty.

Does it? Care to back this up with some facts or are you just going on hearsay and what the manufacturers have to say in the subject?

As far as the law is concerned then cutting the plug off only voids any warranty claim directly relating to the plug, not the rest of the appliance.

Very true, Marconi! I have changed ovens after 6 month lets because they are so filthy I couldn't contemplate a professional oven-cleaner person wanting to deal with it.
What DO they cook in there? I clean mine once a month, or so, and it always looks like new.

BTW, what do you all use to clean the acres of stainless steel in a kitchen? Fridge-freezers, ovens, extractor fans...I tried everyting from commercial stuff to old wives' remedies...and actually a professional cleaner pointed me at the perfect solution...but i want to hear everyone's views before revealing the miracle cure!

If it comes supplied with a plug, plug it in.

if it comes without one, have a spark wire it in.

why do people have to complicate matters and quote laws that don't exist anywhere other than in their own minds??

Cheers Pirate

All, thanks very much for taking the time to reply and sharing your knowledge and experience.
In summary :
  • There are no additional electrical or building regs for a rental property for this situation
  • If it's got a plug, use it.
  • If you need to add a new spur it'll need RCD protection
  • If you hard wire into a new SFCU, need to consider whether the cables warrant RCD protection
    • ....I might ask my scheme for their view on that one rather than stretch this thread
  • And finally, in all situations, beware of bullshitters !

BTW, what do you all use to clean the acres of stainless steel in a kitchen? Fridge-freezers, ovens, extractor fans...I tried everyting from commercial stuff to old wives' remedies...and actually a professional cleaner pointed me at the perfect solution...but i want to hear everyone's views before revealing the miracle cure!

WD40 makes a pretty good stainless steel cleaner and polish

If you cut the plug off some appliances it voids the warranty.

Why do people insist on perpetuating this myth

It does not void the warranty what it does do is prevent the appliance engineer carrying out safe isolation of the appliance to carry out repairs if it is hard wired.
They are trained that safe isolation is to pull the plug end of no other method of safe isolation is available to them and they will refuse to repair unless someone else will disconnect the appliance that is not voiding the warranty it is the procedure they are trained to follow

lettings agents , the great rip off of our time, what do they actually do ? what knowledege do they have ? here they are quoting regs that don't even exist, driving about in new minis with logo's on doors. Hey ho rant over :mad:

Reply to Does a 13A plug in oven need to be wired into a cooker switch in rental properties ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock