Discuss Does a external flood light need to be on an RCD ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lee2lee

Does a external flood light need to be on an RCD,

i was going to spur off a socket in the bedroom, if the fuse board doesnt have any rcd, should an rcd fuse spur be used? or can a normal switch spur be used?

Thanks,

If the cable is concealed less than 50mm from the surface it must be RCD protected. You could run it surface in trunking to get over that requirement and drill straight thru the wall from the spur to the light fitting. This may be what you intended I may have the wrong picture in my head :D

Yeah if its on its own dedicated circuit and any of the cable internally is chased in less than 50mm from the surface and not protected by steel etc...... then I'd say def an RCD job. I'm presuming outside any cable run will be in conduit. If its all surface mounted then no need for RCD but wouldn't do any harm at all to put one in.

i was going to spur off a socket in the bedroom,

Would it make more sense to use an RCD Spur so that if water gets in and starts causing nuisance tripping it's blatantly obvious where the fault lies rather than have the upstairs ring keep tripping? I'm just wondering because not every spark will automatically presume that the outside light has been fed from a spur on the upstairs ring?

:thumbsup

i've done a few spurred off a bedroom socket, using a D/P FCU, so in the event of a fault, it can be isolated. then drilled direct from back of FCU to outside. ( when i've been lucky enough to find a socket on the outside wall, no need to get floors up ). only problem with RCD FCU is if the circuit is already RCD protected, no discrimination.

i've done a few spurred off a bedroom socket, using a D/P FCU, so in the event of a fault, it can be isolated. then drilled direct from back of FCU to outside. ( when i've been lucky enough to find a socket on the outside wall, no need to get floors up ). only problem with RCD FCU is if the circuit is already RCD protected, no discrimination.

Very valid points indeed, my concern was only the fact that if there was a fault causing nuisance tripping a spark may not identify the problem straight away but then I guess an experienced spark would already have clocked the outside light and looked for where it is supplied from?

As you mention though, was identified it is easily dealt with:)

No floor boards up, we like that bit :D

Discrimination, we most certainly don't like that bit.

All noted, Thanks as always telectrix :D

:thumbsup

Does a external flood light need to be on an RCD,

i was going to spur off a socket in the bedroom, if the fuse board doesnt have any rcd, should an rcd fuse spur be used? or can a normal switch spur be used?

Thanks,

For the cost of a RCD switched fuse outlet you might aswel use one
im sure any equipment or circuit running outside would benifit from one.

Reply to Does a external flood light need to be on an RCD ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock