Discuss Does a Nest Outdoor Camera need a hub? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking at a Nest outdoor camera for my sister, the website does not give too much information on how the system connects to the internet.
Does they use a hub (like Hive) or does each item connect to your router on its own?

Would be better value to get a complete cctv unit. Built in hard drive so no subscriptions to pay, and it still records even if your internet connection drops.

Can get a full system with 2 cameras for not a lot of money.

Arlo will record without internet too :)

Good option if hardwiring is out of the question.
Arlo Pro does the basic one doesn't as the CPU power wasn't't enough to allow aUSN men or hard drive to be used. Handy knowing a development director at Netgear.

Arlo Pro Q you can add a SD card to each camera as a back up.

Well clarified sir!

I have the pro version and just assumed.

Love the SmartThings and Alexa integration with Arlo.

Arlo Pro does the basic one doesn't as the CPU power wasn't't enough to allow aUSN men or hard drive to be used. Handy knowing a development director at Netgear.

Arlo Pro Q you can add a SD card to each camera as a back up.

Why would I want hours and hours of video of my garden stored in the cloud?
So when you rubbish is stolen out of your garden/shed you can see who did it and pass it to to the Police who will ignore it, unless you are in to making "funny movies" with the missus and posting on line.

So when you rubbish is stolen out of your garden/shed you can see who did it and pass it to to the Police who will ignore it, unless you are in to making "funny movies" with the missus and posting on line.

But you don't keep all your footage of years and years of nothing happening! You keep the relevant bit and send it to the police. The local hard drive has more than enough space for that even if it's on continuous record.
I don't get the idea of paying a subscription and sending it to ' the cloud'.

But you don't keep all your footage of years and years of nothing happening! You keep the relevant bit and send it to the police. The local hard drive has more than enough space for that even if it's on continuous record.
I don't get the idea of paying a subscription and sending it to ' the cloud'.
What system do you have that records to the local drive , the cloud "system" is just another way to squeeze many out of people. BTW how much rubbish is stored on your local drive, give me 10 mins to trace your ip address and I'll have a look myself.......

I don't understand a word of that. My point remains what's the point of paying a subscription to upload cctv footage to the cloud?

I understand the systems by the way.

I don't understand a word of that. My point remains what's the point of paying a subscription to upload cctv footage to the cloud?

I pretty much agree with this. The only benefit of having it record to the cloud is if they manage to steal your hard drive.

You've shown that, its the same as you need a camera in the hallway showing the thugs entering the property as if you have only an external camera it just shows criminal damage and not breaking and entry.

As seven mentioned the hard drive is in a secure location as most of your comms and NAS stuff.

Yep I can see that as an advantage. Probably better than putting your recorder in the loft or similar out of the way place.
Still better if it also has a local drive in case of internet/phone line problems.

You've shown that, its the same as you need a camera in the hallway showing the thugs entering the property as if you have only an external camera it just shows criminal damage and not breaking and entry.

As seven mentioned the hard drive is in a secure location as most of your comms and NAS stuff.

This thread is specifically about watching a garden shed, presumably to deter against bike/tool theft. For this purpose I think the hard drive solution is more than adequate.

Cloud based would be something to consider for the breaking and entering scenario.

I have fitted a few nest cameras and am part of the stupid nestpro scheme. Nest charge £80 a year for 10 days of video storage in the cloud and £240 for for a months worth, its cheaper to pay annually rather than monthly ( £8/ £24 respectively ) the camera uses the wifi from the house to upload it to nests servers and will notify you of movement or activity, the newest camera will track movement too so doesnt focus on a fixed spot.

Reply to Does a Nest Outdoor Camera need a hub? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net