Discuss Does anyone else get a little nervous at assessment time? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was very happy to get a desk top assessment last year as it meant not missing a day of work and also I didn't have to 'prove' myself worthy to be registered.

This year will be a normal visit. This Tuesday the inspector will call and I'm tidying up the office and getting all the paperwork ready. Each year I'm a bit nervous and each year I pass without issue.

Do you guys get a bit nervous or do you just feel supremely confident that all will go well, or perhaps you don't really give it much thought?

Its a bit like going through security at an airport - you feel anxious

That said if you are organised and have decent sites to "show" there is nothing to worry about

Could you ask him when he expects you to get your 18th Ed exam?
I wouldn't let him bring it up.

I wouldn't let him bring it up.

Why not ?

I want to hear what the schemes are saying .....

They can't expect us all to get this by 1st Jan 2019 ............. so what do they expect?

And what are they going to do to crack down on the growing numbers of people, who don't comply with the regs - scheme members and non scheme members alike - ......................

That said if you are organised and have decent sites to "show" there is nothing to worry about

I was about to reply saying 'of course I will Murdoch' and then let you know. However, I shall try and get away with not doing it for as long as poss and hopefully hold out till the 19th! So if he doesn't mention it then neither will I:).
Plus, don't you find that each assessor asks for different things? The assessor I had for the first 3 years was the same and he insisted on me doing cal card readings, none of the others have asked for this.

Does anyone know if the other schemes allow you to choose the site you take the assessor to?

Why not ?

I want to hear what the schemes are saying .....

They can't expect us all to get this by 1st Jan 2019 ............. so what do they expect?

And what are they going to do to crack down on the growing numbers of people, who don't comply with the regs - scheme members and non scheme members alike - ......................
I would like to think that happyhippydad would be looking to do it in his own time as soon as possible and that he is competent in knowing what the changes are and would not rather the assessor dictate when he has to do it by.

Not really anxious or nervous just one of those necessary pains once a year, like going to the dentist I suppose, I had my assessment this week with Stroma and it was the toughest yet as far as questioning goes but I did have periodics added to my scope so knew it would be a bit longer. I didn't realise that the assessors are happy to come to site, I left a site to come home and apparently he would have been happy meeting me there!? You live and learn.

I would like to think that happyhippydad would be looking to do it in his own time as soon as possible and that he is competent in knowing what the changes are and would not rather the assessor dictate when he has to do it by.
Haha:). Not a chance Anthony.
I enjoy discussing the regs and having a look through BS7671 and keeping abreast of changes. However, I have no wish to take the exam as it's another £100 gone just to show the piece of paper to the assessor. I guess I can see the importance of it though. Perhaps I should rethink my morals!

Not really anxious or nervous just one of those necessary pains once a year, like going to the dentist I suppose, I had my assessment this week with Stroma and it was the toughest yet as far as questioning goes but I did have periodics added to my scope so knew it would be a bit longer. I didn't realise that the assessors are happy to come to site, I left a site to come home and apparently he would have been happy meeting me there!? You live and learn.
I've been thinking about having that added Roly but can't quite see the point. You don't need to be registered to carry out EICR's so could I ask why you choose to add it?

Sure random checks would make sense but simply can't work

Surely with you giving the customers details to register the works with LABC a phone call or even a site visit without you present could be possible? I know they probably couldnt do it for every memeber and customer,but if you knew there was going to be random checks then at least you would know they are trying to help maintain the standard that they expect?

Haha:). Not a chance Anthony.
I enjoy discussing the regs and having a look through BS7671 and keeping abreast of changes. However, I have no wish to take the exam as it's another £100 gone just to show the piece of paper to the assessor. I guess I can see the importance of it though. Perhaps I should rethink my morals!
All I can say to that is the schemes are not going to expect every one of their roll members to have it straight away but to be conversant that they have a good working knowledge of the latest regulations that they are working to. Don't forget that next year there will be jobs undertaken that were designed to the 17th much will depend on that on how soon you would be expected to have some sort of formal qualification. It would be a requirement of the schemes for their members to have it within a reasonable timeframe. Not sure if schemes would be asking members to forward a copy to them for their records.

I've been thinking about having that added Roly but can't quite see the point. You don't need to be registered to carry out EICR's so could I ask why you choose to add it?

Don't think you can choose to add it with Stroma. You have to have the 2391 (or equivalent) first. As I understand it, they are not going to endorse somebody for EICRs if they do not have an inspect and test qualification

I was very happy to get a desk top assessment last year as it meant not missing a day of work and also I didn't have to 'prove' myself worthy to be registered.

This year will be a normal visit. This Tuesday the inspector will call and I'm tidying up the office and getting all the paperwork ready. Each year I'm a bit nervous and each year I pass without issue.

Do you guys get a bit nervous or do you just feel supremely confident that all will go well, or perhaps you don't really give it much thought?

Yup me too got mine this week

Every job you notify to gassafe the client gets an installation certificate and a letter asking them if they would like an inspection.

Had trouble with an assessor a few years back so had words with him and made a complaint. I was told there had been loads of complaints about him and that he was going to get the the tintac.
He used to post on here:rolleyes:

When I did an assessment after the A3 came into being, my assessor wanted some evidence that I was aware of the changes. I had done one of Certsures on-line training packages (£50!), but when I presented the certificate of learning, he was happy (I was £50 less happy). I willing to bet the answer will be, you'll have to have that little certificate after next January.

As regards jobs to show them, I normally have two lined up. No small feat for me being small domestic works, and finding willing ex customers, to allow two hairy arsed blokes, poncing around their house, for nothing in return. I always used to pop back with some flowers for the lady of the house (obviously when the husband was present :)) as a thank you gesture.

I know some suggest the assessor should pick em, but with the above can't see that feasible. Plus if I do a top quality job for my assessment, I don't think its likely, I do a badgers arse job of the rest of them.

Ps if you not a bit nervous during any assessment, your either a bit dull in the head, or too far up your own arse.

Last edited:

Reply to Does anyone else get a little nervous at assessment time? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net