Discuss Does anyone ever fit non-fire rated downlights? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have refused to fit customer supplied non fire rated downlights before as there were living quarters above but I'm never too sure of the 'rules' in this case.

Approved document B is huge and I cannot find where it relates to this subject?

From reading different threads on the net it seems that some suggest fitting non fire rated downlights on the top floor is OK as long as there is no loft conversion, is this correct? I can't quite see how it is as I am assuming top floor ceilings have to have a minimum level of fire resistance when they are built? If so, when we install downlights we must ensure the fire rating is no worse than before and therefore fit fire rated downlights.

I realise the ESC suggests always fitting fire rated but I am more interested in what the building regulations state.

Hi - to answer your title question, no I don’t fit down lights that aren’t fire rated. My logic is I’m fitting them to a relatively non combustible plasterboard sheet and I don’t want the resistance to fire to be any less after my work. The second question is - do the building regulations require this? - as far as I know the answer is “not always”.

if its the 1st floor area then you dont need them ,ground floor yes , most fittings you would use a led lamps .saw the chances of a fire are billion to one unless the fire is crated from a chip pan .

We’ve had this discussion lots of times, and members have different views. A domestic property is deemed as one fire cell, excepting an integral garage.

There are some members that think that not all sections of an Approved Document applies, there‘s the recent one on socket heights, as an example.

There‘s not just Part B, with regards cutting holes in plasterboard, but also C & E.

As the cans are similar priced, and cheap as chips, I can see no reason not to fit fire rated etc ones.

I can think of 2 occasions when I have fitted non fire rated, as opposed to the other 200 times when I haven't. However, there will be the odd occasion when fitting non-fire rated may be the only option. Perhaps in a poorly made flat roof with a cavity that is not deep enough for the can (although there are some pretty shallow integrated fire rated downlights now).

I guess I'm just trying to determine if it is ever acceptable. Perhaps in an overhang along the front of a house where the cavity isn't deep enough.

I think @Wilko has basically answered it with regards the building regs 'not always' (but probably).

I quite like JW videos, however I feel his not including all the points of Part B. For provisions of fire safety he might be correct, but from the implementation of prevention of fire damage he is not correct.

Plasterboard is just for decorative purposes, it provides fire protection for structural timbers etc. It also provides provision as already alluded to, Part C & E. For example, if you were to cut holes in plasterboard to provide access for services, you would be required to repair that hole, so it wasn’t any worse than it was previously.

Plus the fire rated ones are just as cheap.

Last edited:

Reply to Does anyone ever fit non-fire rated downlights? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock