Discuss Does anyone have the accreditation of "SafeContractor"? I in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It all depends on whether you require it. Many large organisations will want you to be signed up to it, CHAS is another. If you are tendering for some contracts it maybe a necessary to have this accreditation or your proposal will just be rejected. We are signed up to both due to contract requirements. It is all a bit of a paperwork chase with no actual physical assessment so if you don't need it I wouldn't personally waste my money.

Thanks for the response mate, i am at the cross roads, im a one man band but possibly looking at taking on larger projects, they say in the sales pitch that companies will search YOU out. Have you ever had any of that or just sales talk?

As a company we are with, CHAS, construction line, Trust Mark, NIC EIC. It is mainly H&S stuff, but if you want to play with the big boys, like Kier, BTU, Morrison utility, Southern Water ect... even your local council. You need to have these accreditation’s. It makes so much paper work. Really give it some thought before taking it on.

A few years back, I got asked to become a SafeContractor by an estate agent (with lots of branches) who I used to do a lot of rental repair work for, otherwise they'd have to stop using me.

I looked into it, apart from the annual fees, I reckoned I'd need to spend maybe 5x that cost in lost time dealing with all the admin to get and stay accredited.

I'd have to up my prices to the agent to recover my costs (by 20% or more). Plus there was no guarantee I'd still be getting the work, I could have invested the time & money for little or no return.

So I declined to register, and I'm not at all sorry.

We had to get SSIP accredited a few years ago. I tried to sort it out but gave up and got in touch with a local H&S consultant who sorted it all out for a very reasonable fee.
He just jigs things about once a year, again for a very nominal fee.
As far as getting extra work from it, we've had none.

Reply to Does anyone have the accreditation of "SafeContractor"? I in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net