Discuss Does anyone know what type of fuse this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks like a lamp, not a fuse.

FYI, in some machine control applications, a lamp is used as a current limiter to an inline device.

Looks like a neon indicator.

Sometimes used to be used in triac firing circuits, so could be that? Just a guess though.

Any chance of a clearer picture and/or more information about the machine and which part of it this is connected to? Agree it is not a fuse.

Now I see it on the bigger screen, surely it is a panel-mounted neon indicator lamp as mentioned above. Maybe it got smashed and they assumed that what they were looking at was the remains of a panel-mount fuseholder.

Still looks like a neon indicator though. How is it wired - is it in series with a live feed, or does it have a live and neutral to it?

Sorry, the machinery is in Canada and I'm in the UK. Relying on photos being sent.

They have sent details of a fuse which is 30mm long and 15mm diameter. The thing (the suspected neon tube part) in your photo looks nowhere near that size.

You need better info from them, or an electrician on site I reckon.

Hi, more photos sent.
Fuse 16amps, length ~30mm, diameter ~15mm
The photo shows the "thing" wired with a red wire on one terminal, and a black wire of smaller diameter on the other.
Doesn't make much sense for a series circuit, which one would expect to have both wires the same colour and gauge.
Coupled with the earlier pic of what we think is a neon, it's stacking up in favour of 'indicator' rather than 'fuse'.
If you know the size of the hole (is that the 15mm??), you could send them an example of both🤪?

The damaged item in the first pic of this thread looks extremely like the inside of a panel mounted neon indicator lamp. The pic. of a similar undamaged item in the latest pic. looks like a panel mounted neon indicator lamp, and the wires connected to it support this.
Who came up with the idea that it's a fuse, and why 16A?

The damaged item in the first pic of this thread looks extremely like the inside of a panel mounted neon indicator lamp. The pic. of a similar undamaged item in the latest pic. looks like a panel mounted neon indicator lamp, and the wires connected to it support this.
Who came up with the idea that it's a fuse, and why 16A?
Sorry, this is third hand to me. I will see if I can get more info

Sorry, this is third hand to me. I will see if I can get more info
The rating plate photo is useful. I've been looking for info to give a clue as to to the "thing"
This is an example of that machine auctioned a while ago, though I don't know if it's exactly the same age: Sliding table panel saw Ortza SE-320-T - https://www.auctelia.com/en/used-equipment/woodworking/wood-saws/sliding-table-saws/sliding-table-panel-saw-ortza-se-320-t/index/163173
I think this may be the panel in question - maybe worth checking with them?
In which case the 'thing' bottom left is a power on indicator, with a push-button above. Seems to tally with the internal photo you have.

D7732D2C-1C42-402F-910A-BE24CF84EEC9.png

Last edited:
The part panel we can see in the OPs last pic matches the pic Avo Mk8 has found, so the next question for the OP is: Are there two other components on the panel, identical to the broken one?

Reply to Does anyone know what type of fuse this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net