Discuss Does anyone still use connector block..? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The improvement in plastic composites probably make the modern Wago more durable than the old screw blocks, I recently replaced some downlighters which were connected with screw blocks and they fell apart when trying to unscrew them, they had become very brittle, I don't think anyone would contemplate using cross-ply tyres in these modern times of a radial equivalent.

I bow to your superior knowledge, I have only seen the Wago's with the push button cage to secure multi strand and push in connections for solid core, most light fittings now days have multi strand and can't be used in a push fit connector, can you provide a link to these fifteen your old ones?

I was thinking of most HF fluorescent fittings I've ever used, both linear and 2D type. Possibly not wago branded but certainly of that type.

The connection relies on a thin strip of metal to make a pressure connection which inevitably gives out

I do not think that the clamping mechanism of a Wago connector 'invariably gives out.' They have been subject to strigent testing in the UK to qualify, when suitably enclosed and slightly de-rated, as maintenance-free under BS5733. I.e. a properly made Wago inline connection is expected to be so reliable that it can be embedded into the building fabric, never to be accessible again, without having a measurable impact on the reliability of the installation.

The point of any connection is to have low resistance throughout its life, while withstanding whatever influences it is intended to withstand (vibration, corrosion etc). The way in which a Wago achieves this is different to the way a wirenut achieves it. Significant understanding of connector technology (metallurgy, physics, chemistry) is needed to fully analyse how these differ and what their strengths and weaknesses are in different circumstances.

We are a bit phobic about wirenuts in the UK, without much good reason. We used them in the past, but went off them in the 1960s. I agree with you that a good electrician can make a sound connection between copper wires using a good and suitable wirenut, no problem. There are situations where I would prefer an alternative, which might be a Wago.

still use connector blocks on downlights. got to get rid of my stock of red and black insulating tape in time for the change to brown and blue.

still use connector blocks on downlights. got to get rid of my stock of red and black insulating tape in time for the change to brown and blue.

If you wait long enough Tel, they'll have invented "Smart" tape, where it appears as whatever colour you'd expect to see on the joint.
One tape fits all, no need to mess with all the different rolls and changes in colours.

Was that on copper or aluminum wire?

Copper. Very rare do I find the need to splice aluminum. Most aluminum here is just service wire or occasionally on 4/0 & up for feeder to a panel/subpanel.
[automerge]1599782879[/automerge]
I do not think that the clamping mechanism of a Wago connector 'invariably gives out.' They have been subject to strigent testing in the UK to qualify, when suitably enclosed and slightly de-rated, as maintenance-free under BS5733. I.e. a properly made Wago inline connection is expected to be so reliable that it can be embedded into the building fabric, never to be accessible again, without having a measurable impact on the reliability of the installation.

The point of any connection is to have low resistance throughout its life, while withstanding whatever influences it is intended to withstand (vibration, corrosion etc). The way in which a Wago achieves this is different to the way a wirenut achieves it. Significant understanding of connector technology (metallurgy, physics, chemistry) is needed to fully analyse how these differ and what their strengths and weaknesses are in different circumstances.

We are a bit phobic about wirenuts in the UK, without much good reason. We used them in the past, but went off them in the 1960s. I agree with you that a good electrician can make a sound connection between copper wires using a good and suitable wirenut, no problem. There are situations where I would prefer an alternative, which might be a Wago.

To be clear, they have come out with new products/better mechanism. This was my experience & stories from 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Copper. Very rare do I find the need to splice aluminum. Most aluminum here is just service wire or occasionally on 4/0 & up for feeder to a panel/subpanel.
OK, I had wondered as I know the USA uses more of it than us.

In the UK it is practically only ever seen in LV systems on large supply cables, typically above 50mm CSA (about your 0 AWG size). In fact our wiring relations has the minimum CSA for using aluminium in fixed wiring as 16mm (about 5 AWG), compared to copper at 1mm (lighting circuits) or 1.5mm (power circuits).

OK, I had wondered as I know the USA uses more of it than us.

In the UK it is practically only ever seen in LV systems on large supply cables, typically above 50mm CSA (about your 0 AWG size). In fact our wiring relations has the minimum CSA for using aluminium in fixed wiring as 16mm (about 5 AWG), compared to copper at 1mm (lighting circuits) or 1.5mm (power circuits).

Our outlet circuits are typically 15-20A so 14-12AWG or 2-3mm copper (nm cable is typical). We usually have a number of outlet circuits & some are dedicated. Always a "radial" circuit...

Our outlet circuits are typically 15-20A so 14-12AWG or 2-3mm copper (nm cable is typical). We usually have a number of outlet circuits & some are dedicated. Always a "radial" circuit...
Those were the minimum allowed by our regs. Most socket outlets would be from 2.5mm (our 32A ring final circuit style) or 4mm (32A radial).

1.5mm would be only used for a single 13A socket or something like a 3kW immersion heater, but it is not uncommon to see it used for lighting circuits that are only 6A (even though the regs allow 1mm for that).

Reply to Does anyone still use connector block..? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock