Discuss Does damp proof membrane react with PVC cables ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

you could slidesome capping in to separate the cables from the membrane. as for any reasction though, i doubt it will be a problem.

PVC and HDPE are essentially the same material. So I would say no, good question though! As they are the same they should not be reactive to each other. You probably have in the back of your mind the polystyrene (hydrocarbon product) of old that was used as loft insulation melting cables?

PVC and HDPE are essentially the same material. So I would say no, good question though! As they are the same they should not be reactive to each other. You probably have in the back of your mind the polystyrene (hydrocarbon product) of old that was used as loft insulation melting cables?
Yeah that and pipe lagging which I have seen cables 'melted' into but not actually damaged.

Are your photo's upside down and what looks like the floor is actually the ceiling?

What's going to let this room breath? I've seen a couple of jobs done similar to that, where the ceiling has either come down from moisture or the ceiling and walls are black with mould. Hard to judge measurements, but it looks like safe zones are being pushed to the limit there as well.

Are your photo's upside down and what looks like the floor is actually the ceiling?

What's going to let this room breath? I've seen a couple of jobs done similar to that, where the ceiling has either come down from moisture or the ceiling and walls are black with mould. Hard to judge measurements, but it looks like safe zones are being pushed to the limit there as well.
I have no idea, it's a garage thats getting converted into a home office I'm just adding electrics, yes I was being lazy and didn't grab a ladder so they are just within limits, think I may have to redo this tv socket though as its run outside the 'safe zones'

IMG_20200711_143931 (1).jpg

Agree either the pictures are upside down or someone has put dpm on the ceiling.....

Strange looking build. Looks like some sort of black water proof paint on the wall and damp proof plastic on the ceiling instead of a breathable membrane. Is the home office being sealed so they can grow some interesting plant life ;) ?

Although both PVC and PE are based on aliphatic chains, the presence of the chloride groups gives PVC significantly different physical and chemical properties. Commercial PVC products are also rarely pure PVC, often incorporating plasticisers and UV stabilisers that could react with other materials independently of the PVC itself.

Reactions that have been found to occur between the two in practice are typically caused by UV light; either the PVC degrades and the resulting HCl reacts, or some of the additives migrate to the surface, outgas and react, etc. I'm not aware of any problems with PVC cables vs. PE membrane in a wall.

Although both PVC and PE are based on aliphatic chains, the presence of the chloride groups gives PVC significantly different physical and chemical properties. Commercial PVC products are also rarely pure PVC, often incorporating plasticisers and UV stabilisers that could react with other materials independently of the PVC itself.

Reactions that have been found to occur between the two in practice are typically caused by UV light; either the PVC degrades and the resulting HCl reacts, or some of the additives migrate to the surface, outgas and react, etc. I'm not aware of any problems with PVC cables vs. PE membrane in a wall.
Thank you for the detailed reply, I was there was a simplified chart etc of common materials that are reactive to eachother

Reply to Does damp proof membrane react with PVC cables ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net