Discuss Does flex cable need to have boot lace connections in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes and no, if you have a termination designed to accept fine wire multi strand then no however if you don't then yes, the implications of this shock many sparks as it means plugs, ceiling roses etc should be crimped if stranded fine wire and that is why they always are when they are bought pre-terminated with ferrules on.

Am I the only person who doesn’t ferrule flex...??

the only time I ferrule is if I shorten an Rcbo N fly lead , that’s about it for me

as for ferrul ing plug tops , are we having a laugh

Am I the only person who doesn’t ferrule flex...??

the only time I ferrule is if I shorten an Rcbo N fly lead , that’s about it for me

as for ferrul ing plug tops , are we having a laugh
Depends. Control panels, always....lamp holders and plugs, never. But if you notice, for applications, all small flexes come with some sort of hardened crimp or ferrule.....even 13amp plugs and flexes on ceiling roses....like those fly leads you mention.;)

I nearly always ferrule plug tops....if not in a hurry :cool:
Some things have to be done,no matter what...even if only to get a reaction...never leave a shovel,laid on the ground...align screw slots,in furniture...roll a spanset up,hook on the outside...all good life-principles :)

It is definitely good practice to ferrule fine stranded wire, even with clamp-style terminals, as it also serves to reduce the risk of the stands going astray. Often pre-assembled fine wire things like pendant lamps, extension leads, etc, are ferruled.

But for many cases when you don't the ferrules & crimp tool to hand, such as fixing a 13A plug at a friends, then I double (or sometime triple) up the wire so the clamp screw has a decent volume of copper to grip.

The issue of plug tops is the fine balance of getting a tight termination and the grubscrews actually damaging or thread riding the fine strands, of course this doesn't really have a large impact of very low loads as the cable CSA is normally oversized by several orders thus room for such issues but heavier loads are very prone to having issues caused with not using the appropriate ferrule on the termination.
The regulation are clear that you should use them even on plugs hence all manufactured pre plugged item if not moulded are ferruled as are other flexed items like drops.

Is it overkill, sometime yes but other times definitely not, the variety of plugs out there and there design of termination hole and grub shape makes it hard to argue that ferrules are not needed, many grub screws are actually finished with a pointed end which promotes fine wire damage and actually pushes fines wires up the threads.

For me it comes down to been aware of the problems to whether you do ferrule a plug but if we are to adhere to the regs then yes it is required.

I usually ferrule what ever I can get my hands on as I just love doing it. But seriously for very fine stranded, always. For spurs with flexi going to appliance, always. For push fits in lights with flexi never. Where ever it is clear the flex will spread out from under the terminating screw, boot lace ferrule.

Remember the old MK fcu’s with the outgoing terms for flexible.....when MK meant ‘proper stuff’. Came across a few with solids wrapped round them. Now that was sacrilege and a damn site worse than flex in screwed terms.

I basically only ever use flex (as we build trailers), so use a lot of ferrules.

Don't really see why you wouldn't? it only takes seconds and usually fits into the terminal easier, and a much more solid connection.

For sockets, or anywhere where you need to get 2 wires into the same terminal, i just pull the bootlace off - so they are just uninsulated ferrules, as the boots get in the way.
Or you can get double ferrules.

For ELV stuff, i usually just tin the end with solder.

Personally I love using them. But I don't always. It was said earlier that it's clear that they should be used on plugs - however, BS1363 makes it clear that 13a plugs are designed to accept flex, not solid core or anything else. So surely they should, by design, accept flex with no ferrule? That's not to say I don't do it - but just a point of note.

Reply to Does flex cable need to have boot lace connections in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock